• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's does "locked" really mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mumrah

What exactly is meant by a locked cpu? Does it mean the L1 brigdes are cut?

I have a post week 35 (or whatever week it is) Barton that i pin modded just fine. Did i get lucky or does pin-modding work without connecting the L1 bridges?

dalilman52

on the bartons, it doesnt have anything to do w/ the L1 bridges, AMD changed the chip configuration on the bartons for some reason

and when its locked, that means the multipliers cant be changed

on t-birds and durons, yes the L1 bridges are cut and its locked, thats why the pencil trick works (connecting L1 bridges with pencil graphite to unlock multipliers)

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
Locked = Cannot change multipliers at all no matter the method. There is some work in progress to back door multiplier changes with power now! and software from an OS enviroment.

Some week 39 and up are locked and all week 42 and up are hard locked.

OP
mumrah

mumrah

oh damn, well where can i get an unlocked barton? newegg has week 30 cpus. AQXEA 0330 WPMW according to the picture. This wasnt listed on the Stepings guide. Does anyone know if this is unlocked?

-David

Last edited:

CalsonicGTR

Posted by mumrah
newegg has week 30 cpus. AQXEA 0330 WPMW according to the picture.

While Newegg may show a week 30 CPU in the picture, in reality they havent had unlocked CPU in stock for months. I got my Barton in November, and it was a week 43 locked processor. Your best bet these days for unlocked processors is at local B&M stores, or used in the Classifieds or on EBay. It's gonna be extremely hard to find new unlocked processors these days, so any that you find will probably be used

Johnie

Registered
If everybody wants unlocked cpus why did amd start producing locked ones?

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
They were selling $49 CPUs that more and more people were turning into CPUs that cost five, ten times more.

Some were making a profit modding and reselling them.

Intel continued to have 83% share of the market.

Locking CPUs will result in a higher profits for AMD either way you look at it.

Rephrasing that... will result in a profit for AMD.

c627627 said:
AMD Net losses for the past two years, check out how Q4 2002 ended for them:

Q3 2001: -$98m (Athlon XP launched)
Q4 2001: -$16m
Q1 2002: -$16m
Q2 2002: -$185m
Q3 2002: -$254m
Q4 2002: -$855m
Q1 2003: -$146m
Q2 2003: -$140m
Q3 2003: -$31m

Biznatch

Cuz people want them unlocked to overclock them. So they are losing money if people just get a cheaper CPU and overclock it to run as fast if not faster than their processor that costs 3 times as much.