• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats enough for my build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exisss

Nuclear Power Plant - N.P.P

:cool::cool::cool:Nuclear Power Plant:cool::cool::cool:

===============================================================================================================================================================

1/22/17 - Update!

This Threat started about couple months ago when I wanted to start this project. Started with buying components slowly that took couple months and ended with me posting pix of final stages.
This forum helped a lotl. This is my first ever computer build. Never built one and never helped someone to build one. All my knowledge is coming from Google, YouTube and OverClockers forum. I have watched tons of videos in the past couple months. same thing as reading and learning the numbers and concepts.
Anyway, at this very point im waiting on GPU waterblock and new tubes to ship out so then i can run the pump for a day and then boot up the system for first time. :thup::thup::thup:

===============================================================================================================================================================

Hello everyone.

I have a quick question for you all. I am building a custom pc and im going to heavly overclock the CPU and the GPU. both pieces are going to be watercooled (custom),

i7 6700k OC
GTX 1070 Xtreme G7 OC
32GB Gskills 3200mhz DDR4
1000W EVGA PSU with 80 Gold
Z170X G7 MotherB
SSD 1TB Samsung
Case Corsair Full Tower ATX 750D

The porpuse of this system is going to be 4k ultra settings on almost any game. going to be run on a 4k monitor.
*GPU is going to have a full neckle plate waterblock.

My questions are:
1- A 360 radiator (a fat one) with 3 high performance fans (2000rpm) is enough to cool off both overclocked CPU and GPU?
2- Can I have two radiators ( a 360mm and a 240mm ) with only 1 waterpump/reservoir? ( water presure in the loop is going to be ok? )
3- Is it safe to run the loop from pump>360rad>CPU>GPU>240>back to pump? ( the coolant is not going to be hot enough when it comes out from the CPU?)
4- My main concern is the hot coolant going from CPU directly to GPU. Is it better to send the cooland from pump>360rad>CPU>240rad>GPU>back to pump? ( the coolant presure is not going to be low in this setup?

I have done months of researches (reading, watching, pictures..) but im still confused. I know the loop is custom and everyone can do different but I am trying to understand those 4 questions plus how to get the best performance. I would rather go with ONLY 1 radiator if its going to be fine.

Apperciate it everyone. This is my first post on this website, I would like to throw the final pictures on this threat. Its going to be a black/neon green setup. I named it Nuke :shock:

Thanks again

Last edited:
I'd reconsider your GPU for 4k at Ultra. My 1070 at 1440p Ultra is at it's limit.

^This...

You'll need a couple of 1070's for 4K, or better, a couple of 1080's. Even an overclocked Titan Pascal would not cut it.

Regarding the rads, if you don't want a jet engine sound, the rule of thumb (© Earthdog) around here is 1x120 per 100 watts to dissipate. In your case, a 3x120 should be enough (100w cpu+200w GPU). I'd go with a 3x140 though, as I like silence, lol!

The only thing I see what that build is wayy overkill for 4K gaming.

You don't need 32gb of ram. 16gb is plenty
You don't need a 1k watt psu. A good 750/800 will do. Hell even a 650/700w will.
You don't need a 1TB SSD. Only games/apps will load faster, nothing more. A 256gb for the OS and get a fast platter drive for your games.

For water cooling and space saving get the EK Predator 360 Kit with QDC. You can add to it later down the road if you like. It's fool proof and can be installed quite quickly with zero issues.

You state you've done months of research yet you're just tossing money away.

^+1.

650W is enough for a 6700k+1080 SLi.

Don not agree on the 1TB SSD: games are BIG now, and seeing how the SSD's prices dropped, why not going with 1TB?

Radiators are not restrictive, GPU blocks are.

Edit: the Swiftech H240X is a good option as well, easy install, and expandable.

You'd be surprised how well a single 1080 does... Its not hitting 60FPS across the board with the settings cranked, but, its not too far off from it either...
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X/6.html

Good catch on the hardwar Neb!

A. For that setup a 550W would be plenty overclocking BOTH parts to their ambient cooled limits with headroom to spare.
B. 16GB for a gaming machine.. get more later if needed (doubtful).
C. Why not a 1TB SSD if he can? If its enough space and he can afford it, why not?

You'd be surprised how well a single 1080 does... Its not hitting 60FPS across the board with the settings cranked, but, its not too far off from it either...
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X/6.html

Good catch on the hardwar Neb!

A. For that setup a 550W would be plenty overclocking BOTH parts to their ambient cooled limits with headroom to spare.
B. 16GB for a gaming machine.. get more later if needed (doubtful).
C. Why not a 1TB SSD if he can? If its enough space and he can afford it, why not?

Thx, I read and learn, lol. ;) I was trying to save the OP money as the 1TB SSD's aren't really that cheap, but hey like you said why not?

It does well, but not good enough for ultra 60FPS steady@4K.

And OP is talking 1070...

Bud, 1 GPU for Ultra 4K gaming will have to wait for next gen I guess ;)
I'm happy with it. But I only play doom, bf4, dirt rally, ME:SOM, SW Battlefront..etc. they are all on ultra with only battlefront using no AA. :)

Ashes needs things turned down a notch, but he'll it's not a FPS so it's good at 30/40 for me. :)

Just sharing my first hand experience with the exact situation we are talking about. I even alluded to the fact that these are 'easy' games on a GPU (saying I "only" play games A/B/C/D). If you think this is a pissing match, that makes one of us. ;)

Just joking bud!
Sure the 1080 is a strong card (very strong ), but a little 1070 is not as strong, and the OP will have to do some sacrifice on IQ to run 60 fps/4k.

TBH, 1 1080 would suit me for 4k. If you have a spare one, I will unload your burden for free with pleasure !

games are BIG now, and seeing how the SSD's prices dropped, why not going with 1TB?

Very much so. War Thunder 13.1 GB, World of Warcraft free version 43.3 GB, World of Warships 36.6 GB. That's 93 GB for three games. World of Tanks is around 30 GB recommended. and World of Warplanes is a 19 GB minimum recommended. That's a total of 142 GB for a few simple games. And game folders aren't going to get smaller with the graphics horsepower available now. My Windows 10 Pro is up to 13.9 GB.

Why no one actually focused on the main questions? this is in Cooling section, and if you telling me "couple" 1080s MIGHT be enough for 4k then u better go buy a xbox 360.
if my loop be Pump>360mm radiator>oc cpu>oc gpu>back to pump is ok? or i better add another 240 radiator. i kno its always good to have more but i rather go with single 360mm if thats enough

The cooling loop you suggest ( a good 360 radiator) should be more than sufficient. And an xbox 360 will cry if you try to make it run a 4k at high settings. :)

Last edited:
The cooling loop you suggest ( a good 360) should be more than sufficient. And an xbox 360 will cry if you try to make it run a 4k at high settings. :)

Pffff, Even if you overclock the 360 with water cooling itll not be able to run @4k, Dual core CPU, 512mb of ram, And a pre 2005 GPU? Good luck ;)

I should have specified I was talking about a 360 radiator in the OP's build compared to the xbox he mentioned. An xbox should deliver a solid 8 fps at high settings on 4k. Like strobe lights? :)

I should have specified I was talking about a 360 radiator in the OP's build compared to the xbox he mentioned. An xbox should deliver a solid 8 fps at high settings on 4k. Like strobe lights? :)

Oh xD, And depends what xbox, xbox juan probably can handle 4k if you oc it, xbox 360 or original definitly cant.

Back