• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's Fujitsu going to do about it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/63/27926.html (listed on the front page).

I have one of these drives currently, from an RMA of another drive that mysteriously died. Both were/are MPG3xxxx series. Is Fujitsu going to do anything about it? Are they setting up replacement programs for people unfortunate to get one of these drives? I mean, they're obviously going to deal w/ the prefab computer market, but what about home-brew PCs?

I'm going to email them and see what happens.

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Sorry to hear about that Oni. I've used a bunch of their enterprise drives and been very impressed. I've used some of their notebook drives as well, but been a bit more disappointed since they tend to run a bit hotter than I like. Hopefully, they'll stand behind their drives, as they should, but with the discontinuation of the desktop drives, I'll have to simply wish you the best of luck. I fear this is going to be part of a continuing series of manufacturing problems for the industry. The bad electrolyte in the capacitors from Taiwan being another example. The cap issue will probably impact most board manufacturers, since the maker of the electrolyte distributed the material to at least 7 component manufacturers. In any event, good luck and may the claim be honored shortly.

OP
Oni

Oni

I got an email back today:

I will forward your concern to the National Service Manager, Brent
Barkhouse.

Kind regards,

Indira Rampat
Customer Service Administrator
1-800-263-8716 ext 3406
905-286-9666 ext 3406
Fax 905-286-5988

Hopefully, Brent Barkhouse will have something good for me :)

kevmarks

I have had 2 Fujitsu's, a 2 gig and a 20 gig. Both have been rock solid and are still going today. It's a shame that they are pulling out of the desktop market.

Fujitsu are a huge international company, I don't think they can run and hide from there RMA duties.

OP
Oni

Oni

I've had 2 Fujutsu drives die on me. A 2GB about 4 years ago, and my 20GB about 6 months ago. Both were replaced in very short order. The 20GB that was replaced was an MPG3xxx drive, and the one it was replaced with was of the same series, so I'm a bit worried. I'm glad I have my 5GB backup drive, but even so, it's a backup drive. A Maxtor 5GB 5400 RPM. Not speedy.

Hopefully, they'll be willing to change it out for me or something. But really, I just want to know their stance on the issue.

OP
Oni

Oni

I got a letter back from Brent Barkwood:

Dear Mr. Williams,

Thank you for your inquiry.

You have noted in your e-mail below : " I recently read on The Register
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/63/27926.html) that Fujitsu has
admited to......" I've read the article, and nowhere does it provide a
Fujitsu Japan (or anyone from Fujitsu International) Representative's Name
(President, or VP Manufacturing, etc.) with respect to Fujitsu admitting
anything.

There is no statement from Fujitsu that talks about the issue of MPG33204AH
hard drives.

Fujitsu Canada (and Fujitsu worldwide) will continue to support Product
Warranty throughout the full term of the Warranty period. The MPGxxxxx
series has a 3 yr Warranty period.

You state below : "But what do I do when that one dies? It's over the
warranty period for RMAed drives already."

Your MPGxxxxx drive has a 3 year Warranty that is based on the Date of
Manufacture of the drive. This date can be found on the main Label of your
drive. If you have had your drive RMA'd already, there is still the Balance
of the Original Warranty available for your drive. That is, the remainder of
the 3 year Warranty from your original drive.

I do not know the date on your original drive, but I do not think that the
Warranty period can be over yet. Please check the date of your drive and
verify the remainder of your Warranty period.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Brent Barkhouse
National Manager - Technical Support & Customer Service
FUJITSU CANADA, INC.
[email protected]
(905) 286-3403

Basically it says that I'm a retard for thinking such a thing, because Fujitsu has never mentioned anything like that ever, and The Register is full of lies and FUD :rolleyes:

I'm rather upset, here.

edit: I emailed Ed Stroligo about this, too, and included my corrispondance with Fujitsu Canada, and a link to this thread. I thought he might want to know.

Last edited:

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
The good news is that they sound like they're willing to stand behind the drives. The lack of official creditation is nothing to worry about, in the case of leaked data, there rarely is. The company itself is probably in damage control mode now and being very careful about their statements. Check the manufacture date, you may have nothing to worry about(or it could be time to run some HDD stress tests, no wait I didn't say that).