• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats going on here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChasR

Looks like an unstable machine. Are you using HFM? How many failures did you have on the GPU? What's your setup?

ChasR

Whatever it was stopped in that 3 hour period. Look for a GPU that exceeded the UM limit and paused for 24 hours. If there isn't one, I suppose it's a stats glitch.

Giz

Look for a GPU that exceeded the UM limit and paused for 24 hours....

Sorry to jump in, onefstsnake, but ChasR's quote happened to me yesterday, it's not happened since. Do i need to lower my 4890 overclock a bit? - 850mhz clocked to 960mhz. A system reboot got me folding again without waiting 24 hours :-/

OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

Well I just built a computer for a friend and he is running the GPU2 client on a 9800GT.
The rig is an Phenom II 550BE w/4gb DDR3. I wouldnt think the 9800GT would be unstable at stock clocks.
I ran Furmark for about an hour and temps were fine.

He is at work right now but Ill ask him later to see whats going on.
I did setup HFM.net on his rig so we will see.

OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

On the last update I got 353 points and 5 WU's...

Wouldnt the client shutdown for 24 hours after over 15 EUE's?

ChasR

It would depend on if they were in consecutive or not. If you failed 2, completed 1 and then failed 2, it would keep going. I've got a GTX 295 Co Op that has one vpu that's gone nuts on the p10101 WUs. It can't complete any of them and has paused for 24 hours. It's not shown as vpu overheating, but something, probably memory, can't take new WUs.

ChasR

Sorry to jump in, onefstsnake, but ChasR's quote happened to me yesterday, it's not happened since. Do i need to lower my 4890 overclock a bit? - 850mhz clocked to 960mhz. A system reboot got me folding again without waiting 24 hours :-/

You should reduce your OC until you have a < 1% failure rate. Are you running the ATi environment variables?

dylskee

I was under the impression that core and memory clocks don't really make a difference and it's all about the shaders? I would think if I didn't stand to gain big chunks while overclocked I'm just going to run stock and not add the heat to my system.

ChasR

Unlike the nVidia cards, ATi shaders can't be clocked seperately. You want to go faster, you have to clock up the core.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
I hit 3 WU's for less than 500 total points too.

Could be a system wide glitch.

:shrug:
or not.

Everything seems to be back on track now.

OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

I forgot the power save was on so the computer would go into sleep mode after 15 minutes.

Fixed now lol.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I was getting unstable machine errors on an 8800gs overclocked a couple days ago. I dropped the clocks back to stock and added another fan (because I thought maybe I was overheating) but I came home today to unstable machine errors again. Looks like the p10101 work units are having problems....at least for me.

Macaholic

I was getting unstable machine errors on an 8800gs overclocked a couple days ago. I dropped the clocks back to stock and added another fan (because I thought maybe I was overheating) but I came home today to unstable machine errors again. Looks like the p10101 work units are having problems....at least for me.

Dropping back to stock clocks and adding more cooling is a good idea. This has happened before with large units on nVidia GPUs. So you may also want to consider utilizing the "special core" released by friedrim to help with heat and EUE issues.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
I've got a GTX 295 Co Op that has one vpu that's gone nuts on the p10101 WUs. It can't complete any of them and has paused for 24 hours. It's not shown as vpu overheating, but something, probably memory, can't take new WUs.

I've got a couple XFX 8800GT 256MB cards that just refuse to run any GROGPU2-MT work... immediate EUEs. However, I just tried cranking them back up today and they will run most standard GROGPU2 units... even some of the p10101 variety.

The cards just seem to be a lost cause when it comes to Folding with any true stability. However, they seem to run general graphics just fine (less stressful I imagine). Probably, as you say, the memory has taken a dump. :(

OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

Also another question. When my older Althlon rig finishes a 1920 point WU I get 1888 Points.
Why the point difference?

Adak

Zeus is punishing Athlon user's?? :p :p

You ask the darndest questions! Have you checked that 1920 figure out with the current project figures on Stanford's project page?

If you're getting that figure from a monitoring program, I'd think the program's data was out of date, and needed you to click on the update projects option.

Outback_Jon

I think the only 1888 point units are GPU. At least the only ones that I've seen are. SMPs, at least all the ones I've seen are 1760 or 1920 (core a1, since I'm only running in WinXP)

Looking at your stats, it looks like you are getting some of the 1888 point GPU projects as well as your 1920 SMP projects.