• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's more healthy for a video card: constant low temps or less fan use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redness

Just got an MSI 1070 Gaming X and it has the feature of the fans turning off when there isn't any load. Thing is, temps go around 50-55 degrees when idle and when I manually keep the fans on it stays at 40.

Which should I do to prolong the life of my card:
-Keep the fan on at all times for constant low temps?
-Leave it as is and make the fans only turn on when the card is under load?

I want this card to last me a long time.

I'd leave it as is. Those Temps are not dangerous at all, not like it is pegging at 95c. Barring any weird problems or unforseen issues the card will outlast its usefulness before that is a problem.

I'd leave it as is. Those Temps are not dangerous at all, not like it is pegging at 95c. Barring any weird problems or unforseen issues the card will outlast its usefulness before that is a problem.

Oh, 50-55 degrees on idle is fine? I just felt like it was hot for something not doing anything on my computer.

it's not being cooled so it warms up.
my 970's have fans set up to turn off till the cards get warm.
my case is fully exposed and the cards sit 90 degrees to the slots so you see the fans, I set them to spin slow on the front card because they would "twitch" a little a few times a minute and looked a little strange when they did.
the fans being off when the clock is downclocked and the voltage is pulled back is fine.

and my monster teslas have no fans at all.

why use fan life when it's not needed all they do is wear and get noisy sooner.
the people at evga, msi, gigabyte, they know more about it all than I do so I'll trust them to not want to replace the cards in the first three years and in three years they'll be out of date and need replacing anyway.

You could even run these cards 24/7 at 80-90c for 3 years and some people do use the video cards for work like folding, lots of heat. I'm glade my EVGA GTX 970 at idle does not spin the fans less dust to clean of the card and fans and I love how quiet it is.

You could even run these cards 24/7 at 80-90c for 3 years and some people do use the video cards for work like folding, lots of heat. I'm glade my EVGA GTX 970 at idle does not spin the fans less dust to clean of the card and fans and I love how quiet it is.

They are quite, My bro has a GTX970FTW and even at 1500RMP they are still pretty quite!

Back