• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's My Problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{pdX}Canadatron

I just got 2x256 3200 OCZ EL Platinum Ram yesterday and am finally trying to get my machine into o/c mode..but so far isn't so good. I have a 2200+ that is one from the first run, so it's unlocked from the factory. I also have a Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0 board and a Volcano 11 Heatsink and fan. The CPU is running 40 oC. under load. What's next? How does it work when your CPU fsb is 266 and your memory is 400? What should I be looking at for an overclock? Where should I start? Thanks

i'd start by running at 9x200=1.8ghz for starters, then try upping the fsb from there.

okay so now my machine is running a 200mhz FSB to equal the RAM. The multiplier factor is 9, so it's still running @ 1.8ghz. So I basically up the FSB in increments to see where this little bugger maxes out?

The point of dropping the cpu multi is to put stress on the ram only.

Keeping your cpu multi low, slowly raise your fsb and test it with memtest86 - if it passes 5 mins, raise it up. Once you hit a point where it crashes within 5 mins, turn it down 5mhz or so, and put it on "all tests" and let it run for 12 hours to ensure stability.

Once you have a stable fsb and you know the max "height" your memory can go, then you slowly raise your cpu multiplier, and your cpu voltage as needed.

To push fsb further, remember that loosing your timings and raising your memory voltage can help.

Not while you're raising FSB... (well you could... but it would take longer.. memtest86 is loaded onto a floppy disk and runs before windows as long as your boot order is set up properly. It will only run out of an operating system.)

You lower your cpu multiplier so you don't have to test with prime...

you simply test if your memory is stable.

ONCE you finish raising fsb and move onto changing the cpu multiplier and overclocking the processor now... THEN you use prime.

Back