• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best cpu cooler to cool a 1.2 gig T-Bird for heavy overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

I'm unable to install watercooling right now. So I would like to know some of the best HSF's for a T-Bird 1.2 gig That will fit on an Asus A7A 266.

The Swiftech MC462-A I believe is the best. It requires use of the four holes surrounding your processor for mounting. You can find it here. It's pretty damn expensive though.

You can find that HSF on www.pricewatch.com cheeper than on the site JML provided, I saw one for $56 +S&H, just search for "Swiftech MC462-A".
Here is a Review on the MC462-A.

I would also look at the less powerful (though not by much) Millenium Glaciator, and the OCZ Gladiator/SVC Golden Gate.

The Gladiator/Golden gate can be found at SVCompucycle, it comes eather with a 27cfm or 38cfm delta fan for $15.99/$19.99 +s&h respectivly. This is much less than you will find it at OCZ, and it is the same HSF.

Hope that helps...

fd

If you want the best then you have to pay the price with a lot of money and lots of noise. Go to www.sidewindercomputers.com. they Allow you to make your own custom swiftech 462. You get the swiftech 462 because its the best in performance and quality when coupled with a delta fan no matter what others say about other hsfs. I recomend at least the 69cfm delta fan but if want extreme performance they have 80cfm delta fan for the swiftech buts its loud. Even cooler is that thy sell there deltas with molex connectors which most places dont nowadays. Also get some artic silver 2 thermal grease.

Oooh. Now that i think about. i just bought a new water cooling setup so i will no longer need my swiftech 462. It also has the delta 68cfm fan and is in great condition. It has kept my 1.4ghz athlon at 1.6ghz under 40c which is very impressive considering its the hottest cpu out there and its just fan cooling. Throw me an offer and we will see what happens.

mEKbOY (Jul 09, 2001 08:01 p.m.):
Oooh. Now that i think about. i just bought a new water cooling setup so i will no longer need my swiftech 462. It also has the delta 68cfm fan and is in great condition. It has kept my 1.4ghz athlon at 1.6ghz under 40c which is very impressive considering its the hottest cpu out there and its just fan cooling. Throw me an offer and we will see what happens.

Heretic ;D

Hoot

mEKbOY: If you want to get rid of that 462 I will be glad to take it off your hands. I was about to buy one anyway.
You can email me at [email protected]

BTW Hoot is right HERETIC! :)

Well thanks for the reply's fellas. I'll take them into consideration. The most I've payed for a HSF was around $60.00 for my old P3125. Which was awesome. So spending a fair amount of money is not that big of a deal.

I'd go with the Millenium Glaciator. It's a much more elegant heatsink. It offers performance near that of the Swiftech, but it's much easier on the ears.

Take one look at this thing and tell me it doent look elagant and mean at the same time. This is simply the best Hsf fan out there. I wish they made a waterblock version. Its the best mounting system i have seen thats safe and effective and will make you computer shine. Dont be fooled by others sayin get a gladiator or sk6. They are good but not what the swiftech is which is awesome.

Your right the Swiftech MC462A is great but there not for everybody.
Some people may not want to have to pull their motherboard every time they want to pull off the HSF. This is why I have an SK6 coming that and after reading Joe's review the performance is equal to that of the Swiftech. BTW nice looking rig you got there.

You don't necessarily have to pull your mobo out everytime you want to change it. Just cut out the part of the tray where you would have to unscrew it. But then again, cutting parts of your case isn't for everyone either......

mEKbOY (Jul 09, 2001 11:14 p.m.):
Take one look at this thing and tell me it doent look elagant and mean at the same time. This is simply the best Hsf fan out there. I wish they made a waterblock version. Its the best mounting system i have seen thats safe and effective and will make you computer shine. Dont be fooled by others sayin get a gladiator or sk6. They are good but not what the swiftech is which is awesome.

Yes, That does look nice. How loud is it? At first I was leaning towards the BigMoFo from 3DFX Cool. But then I looked at the performance and it wasn't all that much better then an Orb. Thats when I came here to ask you guys. It's killing me having this AXIA T-Bird 1.2 gig and Asus A7A sitting in a box here waiting to be used. I should have ordered a HSF right away but I was hoping to fit my PIII waterblock onto it. Well then the wife tells me she does'nt want the watercooling going back in. Cause I had the Rad and pump mounted under the desk (little kids in the house). But after thinking about it I guess I may just get off my lazy butt and mount it all in the case. I'll have to get some 45 degree barbs to replace the straight ones. But it should work. The wife said that the watercooling is fine if it's all hidden. This way I'll get good performance for next to nothing seeing as I have everything.

Thanks again for the reply's. This post I'm sure will help a lot of people looking for good HSF's around here. You guys are great.

Randy (Jul 10, 2001 12:04 a.m.):
Your right the Swiftech MC462A is great but there not for everybody.
Some people may not want to have to pull their motherboard every time they want to pull off the HSF. This is why I have an SK6 coming that and after reading Joe's review the performance is equal to that of the Swiftech. BTW nice looking rig you got there.

Grrr! Joes review used an inferior fan on the MC-462A. If you use the 80mm Delta Focused Flow fan it orignally shipped with, the MC-462A beats the Glaciator handily when overclocking.

Hoot

Ahhhhhh..... I am having so much trouble picking a HSF, everybody recomends the 4 big boys (gladiator, glaciator, MC-462A, SK6), please give me some advise, noise is not really a worry, price is, going to run a 1.2G TB and OC, c'mon senior members rally up and give me your advise.

Thanks much.

fd

I run a 1.2 @1.5 w/ an MC-370 swiftech HSF , which is $42 . It comes w/ a Papst 33 cfm fan (QUIET) and my temps are 26C idle, and 45C load. I think the the way this hsf has the best mounting system of ANY. Check it out before you buy.

Running my Tbird 1.0g/266 AXIA at 1524 @ 2.05V, the MC-462A, with the Delta fan runs at 42.9C measured with a Type K thermocouple touching the core. This is with a PC room temp regulated at 20C and using Prime95 Torture to stress it.

Hoot likes his PC room cool. :)

Hoot (Jul 10, 2001 11:09 p.m.):
Running my Tbird 1.0g/266 AXIA at 1524 @ 2.05V, the MC-462A, with the Delta fan runs at 42.9C measured with a Type K thermocouple touching the core. This is with a PC room temp regulated at 20C and using Prime95 Torture to stress it.

Hoot likes his PC room cool. :)

Terribly sorry here. That was with the Hoot Chute. With the Delta fan, the MC-462A is 45.5C in an ambient of 22.3C under the above speed and voltage settings.

Hoot

As you notice that the poeple on this forum with great overclocks such as hoot's of mine use the swiftech 462. Maybe that should clue you in.

Back