• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best motherboard for 1.8A...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

im0y

Registered
What is the best RDRAM motherboard to use if I'm planning to overclock a 1.8A to more than 2.6GHz? Also, are there bad 1.8As outhere that I should whatch out for because they are not good to overclock?:confused: I would appreciate any help that I could get because I'm thinking of upgrading my system without spending too much money.

Alot of people like the Abit IT7 max2 for ddr and looks like the ASUS P4T533 for pc1066, personaly i like the Bd7II as its a battle tested mobo.

As far as the cpu's go try to get a C stepping

Thanks for replying Silversinksam...

So if I use a P4T533, it's a guarantee to run the 1.8A to more than 2.6GHz? What kinds of complications or modifications should I expect?

Also, how could you tell if your 1.8A is a C stepping again? I know I've seen/read it somewhere, but I just can't remember...

If you go on RDRAM them buy ASUS P4T533-C not P4T533 coz the C one is easy Overclockable and you can Mod it too.....If you go on DDR then I suggest the ASUS P4B533-E Mobo.....Now I'm working with an ABIT IT7-Max2 and I can say I'm a bit dissapointed.....I'll switch again to my lovely ASUS P4B533-E one with witch I could squiz about 70MHz more....

im0y said:
Thanks for replying Silversinksam...

So if I use a P4T533, it's a guarantee to run the 1.8A to more than 2.6GHz? What kinds of complications or modifications should I expect?

Also, how could you tell if your 1.8A is a C stepping again? I know I've seen/read it somewhere, but I just can't remember...

No it's never guaranteed. 133Mhz system bus is guaranteed, nothing more. The P4T533-C goes up to 156Mhz FSB, the P4T533 to 200 in BIOS. How far you'll actually get is an experimental question. Both boards are good quality solid boards IMO.

To detect a C1 stepping you have to compare the SSpec with Intel's datasheets. There's only a few choices (B0, B0-shrink and C1) so it's not so hard.

Back