• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best Security Package?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

My subscription of ESET Smart Security is due to run out soon and I've been wondering what Anti-virus/malware & firewall package is out on top at the mo .. Both in terms of detection and also how low profile it is (for gaming :p) ..

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I've always preferred the free offerings - detections are never 100% for any package, so going with a free option that offers moderate-good protection makes sense to me.

I use Avira for antivirus, not sure if it's best.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
you can always do some searches online to see what is rated the best by various research groups.

However, if you want personal opinions....

For Free, I've used the following and would recommend any of them:

AVG
Avast!
Avira
Microsoft Security Essentials
Clamwin

dyst0pia

Aw, no love for Kaspersky? I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (it's AV + firewall)

oc_newbee

Aw, no love for Kaspersky? I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (it's AV + firewall)

+1, my first choice when it comes to Internet Security Package. Tried a few others AV program free and paid but this by far gets my vote.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Kaspersky 2009 here. It has never once given me a reason to complain. It does an excellent job, installs very quick and uses very little in the way of system resources while active. DL the trial for free off the website and $20 for a 3PC "licence" off ebay. At least that's what I used to do, not sure if you can anymore.

Last edited:

dyst0pia

Kaspersky 2009 here. It has never once given me a reason to complain. It does an excellent job, installs very quick and uses very little in the way of system resources while active.

Any particular reason you run 2009? You know 2010 is a free upgrade, right? :)

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Just run 2009. Haven't even thought of looking into anything else TBH. Thx for the info, I guess I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Had some frustrating experiences with kaspersky a while back (6 months) It was internet security 2009 I beleive and it was such a pain. It would cause a few machines to hang on startup for a while and sometimes the services would crash all together. And half the time the auto-update would fail for no reason.

I use Avira and AntiVir for personal use and like them a lot. I dont know what Symantec has done to supposedly improve their product but after version 10 or so it went from 'annoying' to 'utter garbage' So they will really would have to step up their game if 360 is as good as they are claiming...

psionic98

I always liked nortons total packages.. especially with their ghost utility.. thought that was much better than standard system restores.. but atm using mcafee cause its free through my ISP.. but it has a HUGE footprint.. and runs about 5 processes to stay active.. pain to shutdown to game

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Norton Ghost is such a great product I just tell myself that its not a Symantec product because it works great unlike most of their other products.

For ghosting Id go with Ghost or Arconis(sp). Will never touch a symantec antivirus product ever again...