• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best TIM for an HDT cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Hello again :)

So, i have the Xiggy Dark Night (looks really great in my case) and i didn't have any TIM when i got it, so i just used the stuff that came with it. I'm planning on buying some TIM for it soon to get the temps down a little more, but i'm not sure which to use (first aftermarket cooler). I've heard AS5 and Tuniq Tx-3 are both great, but i've also heard that AS5 takes some time to set in, and TX-3 is really thick. I have the time to apply it, i'm just not sure if it would go between the pipes like it should. Which TIM would you guys recommend for this cooler?

Thanks for any suggestions :D

mas5acre

MX-3 is great too but kinda expensive, being only slighly better than mx-2. Artic silver 5 has a 200hr curing time, the mx stuff doesn't. Ive used both mx-2 and artic silver, prefer mx2 as it applies smoother and no curing time. But right now I'm using AS5 cause I got a huge tube of it when I ran out of mx2.

Last edited:

Bobnova

I've had excellent luck with arctic alumina ceramique. But it's also the only one i've tried.

DumpALump

everything i've read says MX-2/3, one of the new shin etsu (like x23), or indigo extreme. Basically AS5 is showing its age and it is capacitive. If you're going to be buying new TIM might as well buy one of the newer ones.

I still have a tube of AS5 that has lasted a long time and just recently bought a new heatsink so figured might as well try out one of the newer pastes.

Conumdrum

I haven't seen any reviews of Indego on an exposed heatpipe cooler yet. It's great, it's hard to get right, it's expensive. I won't recommend it except to folks who mount CPU's on a monthly basis. Not for the faint hearted if you read the installation instructions. Your CPU must basically thermally shut down to make it work right. No cooling at all, hope your CPU likes it!

The results are a bit better than regular paste. Indego extreme isn't named xtreme for the kiddies to use out there.

OP
CompuTamer

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
A bit better? Seems to be a good bit better according to this graph... Where can i get some? lol Figure that and then some TX-2 for if it fails horribly

Here's the whole thread too: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232141
Summary.png

Rich'[ard]

A bit better? Seems to be a good bit better according to this graph... Where can i get some? lol Figure that and then some TX-2 for if it fails horribly

Here's the whole thread too: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232141

i wasn't sure, and was just making a guess...didn't want to make it seem MUCH better incase my words weren't 100% right :thup:

but yeah, it's pretty good.
i got some from Dicko555 who shipped it from USA, and shipped it to my house here in Melbourne, Australia.
i got 2 tubes waiting to be used when i get a new CPU. my current e6400 isn't worth the golden paste.