• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the builder Windows Key to upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
If you have a Windows 8.1 ISO and want to go from Windows 8.0 Pro to 8.1 Pro you cannot use your retail key to do so.
You must first use builder key
GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9
to get the update going and only after it updates do you then change the Windows Key to your own that came with Windows 8.0.

I just found out the hard way if you do this with laptops then they will go from Windows 8.0 NON-PRO to 8.1 PRO with that builder key and you will not be able to activate 8.1 with your 8.0 key because your key is NON-PRO and you updated to PRO using key GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9

WHAT IS THE EQUIVALENT 8.1 NON-PRO KEY TO UPDATE Windows 8.0 NON-PRO LAPTOPS like Dell or HP?

I keep trying the ones I found in old threads and none seem to get the 8.1 ISO to take them... I have no problems getting the 8.1 ISO to take the PRO builder key GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9

Last edited:
Back