• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the diff between a hub and a router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted

Xtreme Tech Team Refugee
WiNnErPL said:
Can't share internet between multiple computers without a router
you can share internet without a router but the real diffrence is that a hub is passive and doesnt reserve bandwith,its just for connecting multiple computers for internet sharing..routers take care of seperating diff networks

engjohn

as long as you are getting enough IP's from your provider you can use an HUB or a Switch. A router "routes" packets between 1 or more different networks. To use a HUB/switch, all systems will be on the same network (the public netwok provided by your ISP), with a router you have an internal network 192.168.1.x and a public network provided by your ISP.

WildArmSX

everything including spelling..nah just joking, umm basically a hub is a means to connect multiple computers in a single collsion domain mean incaresed traffic :( A router is a NAT/DHCP server with a switch which mean you can share internet and and becasue a switch's ports are isolated from one anther unless a request is made to that port there is less triaffic and faster speeds.

NWEng

Registered
The really short answer is (and all of the above replys are correct, BTW,) hubs and switches connect devices like PC's and printers together on a single network. Routers connect two or more networks together, such as your home network and the Internet. For home use for the most part, these two functions can be in a single device like my Netgear FR314.

:cool:

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
engjohn said:
as long as you are getting enough IP's from your provider you can use an HUB or a Switch. A router "routes" packets between 1 or more different networks. To use a HUB/switch, all systems will be on the same network (the public netwok provided by your ISP), with a router you have an internal network 192.168.1.x and a public network provided by your ISP.
thanks I think thats why I have been having problems with my net