• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the difference between 60hz and 120hz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duckycrayfish

i dont understand. people say that it is how many fps it does.... but on my 60hz screen i have gotten to 300 fps.... ??????

Last edited:

720x770

your computer may be able to render something at 300fps or more, but the screen is only capable of showing 60 of those frames per second. so for every 5 frames your computer draws, only 1 of them will be shown. The rest are essentially unused.

OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

:O! that sucks! and thanks! :D could never figure that out. so hz is how many fps it can show?

ratbuddy

your computer may be able to render something at 300fps or more, but the screen is only capable of showing 60 of those frames per second. so for every 5 frames your computer draws, only 1 of them will be shown. The rest are essentially unused.

Worse yet, when the computer finishes a new frame, it'll start sending that one to the monitor rather than finishing the frame in progress. That's what causes tearing and is the reason for using vsync.

OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

i hope more 120hz monitors come out. im thinking about getting that alien ware one... but at $500... is it worth it?? how can the make tv's with hz in the 200's??

dgb303

Plasma screens have refresh rates in the hundreds, although I don't know much about the availability of them in smaller more "monitor-like" sizes.

OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

there is some downsides to plasma too. and it get get ghosting. i bought this one plasma screen and i really regret it now. it has horrible ghosting.

dgb303

there is some downsides to plasma too. and it get get ghosting. i bought this one plasma screen and i really regret it now. it has horrible ghosting.

Yeah they are getting better but it's hard to use plasma screens as computer monitors due to ghosting (since you can be idle on the same screen for hours on a PC).

ratbuddy

i hope more 120hz monitors come out. im thinking about getting that alien ware one... but at $500... is it worth it?? how can the make tv's with hz in the 200's??

Because those 120/240/600/whatever-hz TVs can't actually accept a 120hz signal, they just use (usually bad) interpolation circuitry to add extra frames. I don't think the electronics to truly accept a higher frequency signal cost that much more, I think it's more a matter of the manufacturers weren't seeing demand for such a feature before. Now, post-Avatar, it's probably going to be another stupid reason for a markup, like 120hz TVs in general.

Having had (and broken) a 120hz monitor, I can say it's definitely worth it, even if you don't play in 3D. Wait a few months and there will be more options on the market, hopefully driving prices down.

OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

makes sence....... kinda....
but how is it worth it without 3d? and how did you manage to break one..... wtf :p
what monitor was it?