• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the difference between retail and oem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
difference

Retail have a better warranty and usually come with a crappy stock heatsink/fan. They also come packaged in a retail box.

Kendan

Senior Punk
Retail comes with a fan and a longer warranty in a nice box. OEM comes by itself. That is the only difference that I know of.

AntiHeiss

Hey, don't forget....it comes with an AMD sticker too...you can't forget the sticker. :rolleyes:

Flamed_Chip

OEM is usually a lot cheaper because you don't get the pretty box, or warranty, but if you are o/c your warranty will be straigh out of the window anyway.

David

Forums Super Moderator
OEM is cheaper, but you get just the CPU in an antistatic bag. If you are going to overclock a warranty is useless, and you will need a decent HSF.

Greg M

My [edit] OEM Athlons come in a little plastic 'blister' container with the pins pressed into black foam.

Sorry, was up all night reconfiguring/slicing/dicing 3 systems last night and only had 3 hours of sleep during a tough week without my morning coffe. I appologize for the brain fart.:eek:

Last edited:

Randy

Greg M said:
My retail Athlons come in a little plastic 'blister' container with the pins pressed into black foam.

That is exactly the way I get my OEM's

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought the only way the Retail chips came was in a retail AMD box with HSF and AMD case sticker as stated by several other posters.
Randy

David

Forums Super Moderator
Randy said:

That is exactly the way I get my OEM's

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought the only way the Retail chips came was in a retail AMD box with HSF and AMD case sticker as stated by several other posters.
Randy

It depends on resellers perhaps? ie. some will provide certain things and others will not.

SYT_Shadowfax

I have a Athlon K7 700 (yeah, ancient) on a Asus K7V motherboard. I'd like to overclock the FSB or multiplier but the BIOS doesn't give me those nice options. If I put CPU frequency (whatever that is) on 110 instead of 100, it won't boot. It has pretty good cooling, never goes over 38º C. ALso, the memory won't let me run with the settings at 2 instead of SPD. Why not? I have 512 MB of SDRAM memory. Do you guys think that's too much? I have Norton and whenever I use the computer for awhile i end up with 0 megs free. With 512, is that normal? I have win ME

David

Forums Super Moderator
SYT_Shadowfax said:
I have a Athlon K7 700 (yeah, ancient) on a Asus K7V motherboard. I'd like to overclock the FSB or multiplier but the BIOS doesn't give me those nice options. If I put CPU frequency (whatever that is) on 110 instead of 100, it won't boot. It has pretty good cooling, never goes over 38º C. ALso, the memory won't let me run with the settings at 2 instead of SPD. Why not? I have 512 MB of SDRAM memory. Do you guys think that's too much? I have Norton and whenever I use the computer for awhile i end up with 0 megs free. With 512, is that normal? I have win ME

CPU frequency in that case is FSB. The CPU speed is the FSB*multiplier. On your CPU the multiplier will be locked at 7:

7*100=700

To up the FSB will put strain on your whole system, the RAM will run at 110MHz and the CPU at 7*110 = 770Mhz

The RAM, if generic low quality stuff, will not cope well with increased FSBs, and CAS2 rating.

Greg M

I have edited my post above. I meant to say my "OEM" CPU's.

Newegg has a 30 day warranty for OEM CPU's. More than enough time for a faulty CPU to reveal itself.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Unless you MOD the CPU theres no way of telling that its been overclocked.

So the warranty may be VOID but its not proveable.
I'm NOT advising you to do this though....

M_N