• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the difference between these two?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaWreck

Well your answer may be in one of the reviews of the retail card:

Cons: Please be advised that if you plan to unlock this card to the specs of the x850xt pe that it is highly likely that you will not succeed with this newer version. There are reports at TechPowerUp! that at the newer versions of this very card are not the unlockable versions as were being sold up until recently. You have been warned.

Nexus Realized

GV2NIX said:
Hmm, I see. but the OEM is more expensive than the retail, it doesn't make sense. :confused:

An OEM version costing more than a Retail version is not highly unlikely. I've seen this alot with processors. Probably something to do with demand and an automated system of some sort.

OP
GV2NIX

GV2NIX

Hmmm, I see, interesting. Yeah, I guess if it's an automated system, and everyone starts buying OEMs because they're usually cheaper, then the price would get driven up.

Well, I guess I'll just get the retail then, since these boards are identical right and probably can both be unlocked?

XZit

Go retail, and ya it can still be unlocked. In fact the last review there on newegg.com is dated today (12/6/05) and he succesfully unlocked the extra 4 pipelines and overclocked it with ease.

I do think however that the 3D connect x800gtos won't flash to 16 pipelines anymore.
Don't buy the 3d connect x800gto--becuase I do think that they changed up the bios e.t.c.

btw--I just bought this card (the one you linked to) awesome card. I ordered it about 1 1/2 weeks ago though, so mines basically a 100% gurentee that it will flash to 16 pipelines.
I think its a rumor that the newer ones won't flash--

btw heres the qoute and the article on techpowerup
"UPDATE Dec. 1st 05: It seems the Connect3D GTO modding times are over"
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/127/4

So yes--the sapphire gto 2s are fine. Yet don't buy the connect3d...sucks though...for $175 could have unlocked the baby to 16 pipelines--what a steal, to bad its over with :(

pz

OP
GV2NIX

GV2NIX

XZit, hey, thanks for the info! This is actually a replacement card. I had a Sapphire X800GTO² before (bought it OEM for $220 shipped a few months ago), but because of what happened here, the card is no longer functioning.

I agree, it's an awesome card! I just hope this new one will be able to do as well as my old one. My old card did 640/630 before I put RAMsinks on it and without a voltmod. Seriously sweet!

PottaCoola

That dont make sence, id rather have the retail as you get games and software with it. the oem you only get the card and software. most the time the retrail is more expensive

OP
GV2NIX

GV2NIX

Well, as Nexus Realized said, they might have an automated demand/pricing system. If that's the case, then maybe the OEM card used to be cheaper until everyone started buying OEM X800GTO²s and drove the price up so now that they're more expensive than retail cards. It's pretty weird I know, but there must be some reason behind it.

OP
GV2NIX

GV2NIX

Ok, it seems as if Newegg made a typo or something because the second link that I posted above changed to a Prolink 100130 Radeon X800GTO2 256MB. The Sapphire logo is still there, so maybe they're part of the same company?