• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the Fastes SuperComputer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow! One of them, I think the 3rd in top500 has 750 nodes. Each node has 4 1ghz processors and 4 gigs of ram.

look how big it is lol

lemieux.jpeg

Wow! That's some expensive hardware right there. If I was a millioniare, I would have a room (controlled room) filled with some setup like that and those computers would be soley dedicated to Folding. Think of the WUs you could get done with that!

If you were a millionaire you still couldn't afford a set up like that...that kind of stuff costs in the 10s of millions. To be in the top 10 it would cost upwards of 50 million.

Ok fine If I were Bill Gates...................................

How many flops does and avarage computer have?

The scary part is In 20 years We Will be looking at this saying My home computer can kick the crap out of that. :eek:

Garfield said:
Wow! That's some expensive hardware right there. If I was a millioniare, I would have a room (controlled room) filled with some setup like that and those computers would be soley dedicated to Folding. Think of the WUs you could get done with that!

"soley dedicated to folding" :rolleyes:
if u had millions to throw away... i think it would be better given to standford for the research... i think that will work better then the folding rigs.

AZN

How does one determine the # of flops "normal";) desktops like ours does?

I always wanted to compare to our IBM mainframe I work on ^_^

FLOP - FLOating Point operation (any operation that requires the use of a decimal point for precision. Multiplication, Division, ect)

FLOPs - Floating Point operations PER SECOND

How can you determine average computer FLOPs? Get SETI@Home :D OK, so you don't want to do that? There's a fairly simple way. First, find your CPU on the chart below. Then go to the CpF colmnum (Cycles / FLOP) Divide 1 by this number (1/CpF), and multiply by your CPU speed. The answer you get will be in MegaFLOPs (if you used your CPU speed in MHz) or GigaFLOPs (if you used your CPU speed in GHz).

Have fun :D
(PS: My AMD system averages 302 MegaFLOPs.)

EDIT: Yargh!! TheForumIsDown is down! I can't upload the chart unless somebody has somewhere for me to host it... If you want your FLOPs, you know you'll help :D

JigPu

Back