• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the fastest Coppermine and will the P2B-F support it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dRagOOn101

I've got an old trusty Asus P2B-F w/a P3-450 on it. I don't use it much anymore but i'd like to turn it into a secondary computer.. only problem is i need some extra speed.

I looked on the Asus site and found that the board does indeed support "Coppermine" P3 chips having a 100Mhz FSB. My question is what is the fastest CPU i could stick in this puppy? (SECC2 or FCPGA). I've seen 100Mhz FSB P3 chips rated at 850 or so.. are all of these coppermines? does it matter what chip it is so long as it has a 100Mhz FSB?

I know the 450 ran at 2.0V too.. so maybe that's the limiter.. i dunno.

JCLW

You can run 133FSB chips as well because you can set your FSB up to 150mhz via the jumpers.

If you're willing to spend US$100 on a PIII-8X0E I'd spend the extra $30 and grap one of these. Crank the FSB up to 133 and you've got a PIII-1.33 (except for a slightly slower L2 cache latency which I doubt you'll notice). :)

- JW

Tipycol

They made a 1.1GHz coppermine. It's available here. Unfortunately it's very expensive and was not the best overclocker. I only recommend it if money wasn't an issue and you must have a coppermine.

OP
dRagOOn101

dRagOOn101

whoa thats expensive.. i could probably pick up a cheap p4 board & a 1.6 for slightly more

thanks for your help guys

OP
dRagOOn101

dRagOOn101

Are you sure about the 133 FSB? Asus doesnt' list the p2b-f as being able to hit that high.. i wonder if there's a voltage difference..
Tipycol said:
They made a 1.1GHz coppermine. It's available here. Unfortunately it's very expensive and was not the best overclocker. I only recommend it if money wasn't an issue and you must have a coppermine.

Redstone

Don't get the 1.1Ghz!

Not sure about the P2B-F but I had to flash my bios to upgrade and the P3B-F has to be rev 1.03 or later to run any Coppermines over 850mhz due to the low Vcore settings. From what I remember you will need a certain board rev. and bios too.

The 1.1Ghz slot 1's had serious heat problems and they were discontinued soon after they came out. You can buy the PIII 1.0Ghz here Googlegear.com for $110.00 shipped. It has gone up 10 bucks since I bought it 2 months ago.

Asus NetQ has a forum for every MB including the P2B-F and it would not take long to find out what's the fastest CPU/Ram your board can take as those questions come up all the time on the P3 forum.

I am running 100Mhz ram right now. Thats what's keeping me from O/C up to 1.3Ghz. Plan on upgrading to 133fsb here soon because I know my board can run it.

Last edited:

JCLW

The manual shows all the jumper settings up to 150FSB (page 16).

UpgradeWare now makes Tualatin slockets so you could drop in a Tualeron 1.2 for under US$70, including the slocket. It would be faster then any PIII you could put in.

The P2B-F is a VRM 8.4 board, so it should go down to 1.65v. If not 1.65 then definately 1.80v.

Anyways, the Upgradeware site lists the P2B-F as being compatible since revision 1.0 so I'd say it wouldn't be an issue.

- JW