• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the max OC for my Celeron 400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posy Rorer

Registered
I have a (OEM) Slot 1 (Mendocino) Celeron 400 (SEPP) on an Asus P2B (rev. 1.10) mobo. The Asus is supposed to "unofficially" do 133mHz FSB and it has a lot of possible dividers, but the word I'm getting is that I can't expect the Celeron 400 to run at this bus speed. So what's the highest OC I can expect to achieve on the Celeron 400? Anyone tried overclocking one? If so, what settings might I need to use? Tx.

overclockers.com has a database of successful cpu overclockers for every imagineable CPU..check it out: http://overclockers.cssftware.com/cpudb/index.cfm

the ability to overclock is greatly subjective...what worked for one person may not necessarily work for another...a lot of things to consider are the stepping of the cpu...the other components paired with the motherboard...temperatures resulting from ambiant and case temps (which differ greatly from situation to situation), etc. etc...so generally there are a lot of variables to consider, but most of the time you can take an "average" of successful overclocks if you want some kind of idea what to expect...

~jeff~

I would say about 100Mhz FSB is about the highest you can expect from that chip with good cooling and a voltage increase. That should put you around 600Mhz

deez said:
I would say about 100Mhz FSB is about the highest you can expect from that chip with good cooling and a voltage increase. That should put you around 600Mhz

Thanks for all the replies. If I manage to get it to post at 600mHz and have good cooling, why do I need to change the voltage? I'm a little iffy about doing this, because Intel designs the chip to run at 2.0v, and if I change the voltage to 2.2v, wouldn't this increase the heat it produces and wouldn't forcing the chip to run at a voltage higher than the chip is designed to run do possible harm to the chip? (a little risk assessment here...)

you cannot have the best of both world!! Notices that the reason behind great cooling is to combat those excessful heat created by jacking up the vocre! of course, feed your chip a little juice can help it to maintain its stability as well. anyway, as long as you manage to keep your chip within a reasonalbe temp (45c and below), you should be fine.

As far as increasing the voltage, only do so with adequate cooling. As long as you keep it at the temps Intel designed it to run at , you should have no problems. I had a couple 466's up to 95mhz FSB.....a little thing called condensation called that to an end (didn't fry anything though....but had to change my pants)

Posy Rorer said:

Thanks for all the replies. If I manage to get it to post at 600mHz and have good cooling, why do I need to change the voltage? I'm a little iffy about doing this, because Intel designs the chip to run at 2.0v, and if I change the voltage to 2.2v, wouldn't this increase the heat it produces and wouldn't forcing the chip to run at a voltage higher than the chip is designed to run do possible harm to the chip? (a little risk assessment here...)

Chances are not real great that you'll be able to run at 100 FSB and chances are almost nil that you'd be able overclock at 100 FSB with default voltage. As long as your cooling is good, a 10% voltage increase is no problem with those old Celerons. I ran a 300a Celeron at 450 using 2.1v for about 1-1/2 years. The guy I sold it to is still using it at that speed too.

Count yourself Lucky that it even posted at 600mhz without voltage mod.

It sound like you have a very good chip, with a little bump in voltage you can probably get into Window Fine.

Don't know about running 3D Games through?

Back