• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the most WU/week has someone done with a single system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

I just joined the SETI team last night and I'm wondering what's possible.
I'd heard of SETI before but never actually read about it online until a couple days ago. It's a really cool idea, something geeks like us would love, haha. :)
So far I've got my Athlon 1133, 256mb, with 2k Pro running SETI. Might be able to have a second system (Duron 800) running it part time in a week or two :)
It'll be interesting to see what I've done after my first full week.
What should I expect? I'd like to know what would be considered normal for this system so I know if it's running up to snuff.

well first of all WELCOME TO THE TEAM AND THE FORUMS!!!!:D:D:D

my system in my sig does about 7 work units per day so that would be about 49 a week. with your system i am not sure how many it could do but we do have a benchmark page setup at ocsetiteam.com u could check that out and compleat the benchmark if u want to compare your system to other peoples on the team :)

CRUNCH ON!!!

Also Stryfe, make sure you are using the Command Line
SETI Client, and not the screen saver.

While the screen saver looks cool, all those pretty graphix take
up CPU power that should be going to crunching the Work
Unit rather then making pretty pictures.

That's assuming finishing WUs is your goal. If you just want
to casually crunch along and have a cool screen saver that
people will ask you "Hey, that's neet, whats that?", then go
ahead. Hell, I did that for about a year till I decided I wanted
to crunch my way up the stats. Now I'm in the top 0.44% of the
world! Hehe, I've been busy...

Look here for directions on how to setup SETI to be most
efficient:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62194

Good luck! And Good Crunching!

first of all, WELCOME to the ONLY TEAM to CRUNCH FOR!!! ;)

if u system w/ SDR, i would say 'bout 4WUs/day. that's what my old T-bird 750@1050 did w/ the CLC client.

Glad to have a new member! Per your question I would suggest benchmarking your system using the instructions available on our team web site www.ocsetiteam.com. Once you have done this you have a good idea how long your computer takes to complete an "average" seti work unit. Take that and figure how many of those you could do per day, and ultimately per week. This would give you a good rough estimate. Let us know if you have questions. Crunch on :)

Based on what I've seen so far it seems my system takes a few minutes less than 6 hours to complete one unit. So 4/day and about 28/week give or take. Not too bad. I'll have to see what the Duron 800 can do next week and have them both going :)

They are now averaging about 3:35 to 3:45 per WU.

I'm using Micron 256 MB PC-2700 Ram.

FSB speeds vary from like 143 to 147 I think.

I can't wait to see my SETI times when my project is done.

My best system is a 2.2A @ 2800 and it does about 10 units per 24/hrs, so I guess about 70 per week.

TC said:
My best system is a 2.2A @ 2800 and it does about 10 units per 24/hrs, so I guess about 70 per week.

Very nice TC my P4 with 100 MHz lead on yours will do 60+ a week. I'm running DDR but RDRAM would probably help a bit. By the way I Just had another record time. I got a WU with an AR of 10.900 and it only took 2 hours 9 min. I wish all WUs were like that.

Holy,, I wish I could afford a 2.2 Gig! but then again,,,, it's Intel :)
Gotta give them credit tho for making such OC'able processors!

TC and Bender: What FSB speeds are you two running at?

I'm running 127 I believe. Haven't checked for a week or two, but I think that's right. If I go higher the rdram craps out and I have to slow the timings down. It's averaging about 2.5 hours per unit. I'm sure the rdram gives it a slight edge over ddr.

I'm running 145 FSB on a SIS 645 chipset. My average time has been around 2 hours 45 min. Here are the not so steller mem benchmarks. I guess its not bad for the FSB but RDRAM should be a bit higher.

mem.JPG

Back