• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's this called?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I have four old computers with no wifi capability for which I need to provide Internet access. There is no ethernet drop near them but there is strong wifi available. I want to repurpose an old router to connect the four computers to the ethernet ports on the back of the router. So I need to get the repurposed router to receive the wifi signal and, in effect, turn it into a router switch. Is this called "bridging"? What is the term for what I want to do?

David

Forums Super Moderator
Yes, I think this is bridging. Should work provided that the router can be made to connect to the wifi as opposed to acting as the access point.

tRidiot

Premium Member
Yes. Using a router for bridging is what you're describing.

I've done it - with generally not great results. Using several different types of routers. It was a little complicated to set up, using the old router as a wireless access point, but I never had solid stable good connections.

I just got PCI WiFi cards with external antennae and they are rock solid and arse-kicking. It's very possible I'm just a dummy and couldn't get it set up right... but it was functional, so I know it worked. It just wasn't stable and I often lost signal. Even with a good signal.

knoober

I'm on mobile with terrible connection speed so I will swing back later with links if necessary. Just running from memory for now :

Wireless ethernet bridge with ddwrt, openwrt, or tomato (aftermarket router firmwares) are good search terms to start with. It's not exactly a begginer project but the wiki instructions, if followed correctly, will get the job done. Ddwrt and tomato have lists of supported routers and step by step instructions that are easy to follow. Openwrt is a bit advanced for my skills

I have done this several times and the hardware/wireless standard makes a difference. Generally the newest wireless standards get faster throughput. What I have seen is ~15 Mb/s through the bridge while a directly wired device is pulling ~70 Mb/s.

There are wall adapter that can bridge through your home electrical wiring, but I have not gotten better results for connection speed. Easier to set up though.

LMK if you want some link or if you get stuck. As I said, I have successfully done this for home use a few times and am pretty sure I can help you out.