• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats this I here about the claw hammer being unoverclockible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Apparently AMD has claimed that about all of its processors since the K6-2. Someone mentioned something like this in a previous thread.
Where did you hear this?

How good is yer xp1800 at 1.7 ghz Audiman?
What settings and such did you use?
I want to push mine up from factory 1.533 and use the exact same board as you do.

MrRealityman1 said:
whats this I here about the claw hammer being unoverclockible?

They say that cause the memory controller is on the cpu. We don't know for sure though.

Bantre said:
How good is yer xp1800 at 1.7 ghz Audiman?
What settings and such did you use?
I want to push mine up from factory 1.533 and use the exact same board as you do.

I am using an alpha 8045 with a 60 CFM YS Tech. Case temp is 23 degrees, vcore @ 1.80. MBM reports 48C @ full load, bu since its an Asus, I' assuming it's closer to about 40 Degrees. 256 MB Samsung PC-2100, 2-3-2-5-1T. Bios 1004. FSB @ 148. It runs 100%. It's also a brown CPU. Some Games jump back to the desktop if I set the RAM to 2-2-2.

I also don't know what is limiting the OC since I let my brother use it all the time and don't really feel like tweaking it. I can probably go a few ticks higher on the FSB

Re: Re: whats this I here about the claw hammer being unoverclockible?

ol' man said:

They say that cause the memory controller is on the cpu. We don't know for sure though.

That's right. We'll never really know until the chip actually comes out. Saying that it is unoverclockable is kinda hard to justify, all you have to do is up the FSB on the board, which is independant of the chip itself. But i'm not sure with the memory controller on the chip itself. There won't be any more bridge tricks though. They are putting a heat spreader, like the p4 over the core. This should help with temps, and prevent chipped/cracked cores. We'll see. All in time.

till then enjoy the droping prices of the XP MUAHAHAHAH ive been waiting for this :D

audiman. i herd this in some other thread and wanted to clear this up. heck has there ever realy been an unclockible processer?

MrRealityman1 said:
audiman. i herd this in some other thread and wanted to clear this up. heck has there ever realy been an unclockible processer?

What do you mean has there ever been an unlockable processor?
Do you mean has there ever been a processor that can't be overclocked?

The first time I oc'd something was when I was 13! It was a 486 DX2 66, and I OC'd it to like 83 MHZ. It wasn't very stable so I put it back to 66 ahahaha. I didn't know what I was doing.

Most likely from amd because they are making harder and harder to overclock their processors, so now with the memory controller on cpu and the bridges hidden, Will be any way to overclock AMD's?:eek: :eek:!!!

I doubt they'll be unlockable with those heat spreaders on them, but the external clock frequency will still be just that - external - and generated on the motherboard, hence changeable. They will still be overclockable, I'd put my money on that. P4s aren't unlockable but they're still very overclockable. We'll always be able to change the FSB frequency and in so doing, change the CPU frequency.

The Hammer is going to be on the Hypertransport, not on an FSB.

I think AMD is definately going to try to beat the overclockers with this one. I dunno, maybe you could be able to change the Hypertransport thing though.

eh. its all just speculation at this point. for all we know, on the final chip, there might be bridges on the bottom of the die that will control the hypertransport bus (htb) speed. who knows. however, with a good motherboard, all that stuff should really be in the bios anyway, not chip controlled. you don't want to add repeating cycles to a cpu, that controls the cpu speed and HTB, if it can be contorlled off chip somewhere. that would just be plain old bad designing.

all i know is amd will start losing some good cash if they go with no overclocking.. simple as that.. i mean for the most part people will stay with them but when they have to make up there mind on which chip to pick and before the overclockable cpu was the final thing they needed to hear.. now they dont have that...

heres the lowdown on this
the hammer runs on a hypertransport link to every part in the comp. If AMD CHOOSES to, which they prolly will, allow the mobo to control the clock frequency, than they will be o/cable. but there is no fsb or multiplier on these cpu's, hence no NORMAL way of overclocking them.
oc's are done by manipulating the fsb and/or multiplier. if these things dont exist, we must find a different way to o/c them.
I am the original person u seen post about this. if amd chooses not to make them oc'able, they might not be. altering individual bridges will be a possibility, but a SERIOUS pain in the ***.
we'll be modifying our clock gen's next AMD'ers out there.
-Malakai

Back