• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats your Intel LGA775 stock HSF base made from ? Copper or Aluminium ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
Whats your Intel LGA775 stock HSF base made from ? Copper or Aluminium ? *UPDATES*

For those who still insist in using Intel LGA775 stock HSF, if you got a Aluminium core version, you better find your OC-er friends and ask for theirs if they got the copper core version. I assume most of them will give it or sell them cheaply.

I know, most OC-er never use them, just curious, is yours Copper or Al base ? And what CPU it came with ?

Just helped a friend (not an OC-er) recently on his new boxed retail E2140 and noticed that the Intel stock HSF base is Aluminium instead of copper.

Fyi, I own two un-used from old D805 and D925, both are copper base. Run some few quick testings (not thorough) with AS5 on both and found out that the copper base beats the aluminium by 3 C cooler on average ! Anyone can confirm this ? :confused:

Also the el-cheapo Al base feels lighter and looks cheaper too, I can't explain it but seems like the finishing is worst than cooper one ! :(

Two pics which are copper (left one) and the new one (right) with aluminium base l :mad:

Intel HSF Diff.jpg

Looks like Intel is trying to save some money, and it ends up I gave mine to my friend since its better. :mad:

Update :

Since I got my friend's crappy Aluminium core one, was curious and yanked out the fan and here is what I found !! :eek:

This Al core version is even crappier than I thought !! :mad: No wonder it beaten by the copper core version !! :mad: :mad:

Here, some illustrations for better explanation for what I found, the cut view.
Intel HSF Cooper and Al Cut Out Views 256.PNG
-

Last edited:

CrazyIrish

My e6400 came with a copper cored heatsink and the Celeron L I got for my mother came with the aluminum version. They are probably just shipping the lower wattage chips with the aluminum.

ancalime

I think the Allendales and Conroe-L processors ship with aluminum base heatsinks while the Conroes ship with the copper one.

Goshawk

All the C2D chips i've been working with came with copper cores, and the all of the celerons i've been working with come with the aluminum cores.

Kind of odd to have 2 different types... but makes sense too. I figured there would be a larger spread in temps between the two than just 3 degrees.

~ Gos

OP
bing

bing

Low Profile Senior
Goshawk said:
All the C2D chips i've been working with came with copper cores, and the all of the celerons i've been working with come with the aluminum cores.

Kind of odd to have 2 different types... but makes sense too. I figured there would be a larger spread in temps between the two than just 3 degrees.

~ Gos

Those 3 C difference just from a brief quick & dirty testing, not thorough.

What is your finding ? Higher than 3 degrees ?

Wonder what is the latest Q6600 G0 or E6x50 came with ?

OP
bing

bing

Low Profile Senior
Update in the 1st post !

The Al core version is "ALOT" cheaper than I thought it was on the 1st place ! :(

Look for my finding in cross section of those HSF ! Its really that bad ! :(

CrazyIrish said:
They are probably just shipping the lower wattage chips with the aluminum.
Sorry to hijack an intel based thread to bring amd into this, but they were doing this with the X2 series (don't knoq about the AM2 socket). But I believe the 69 and 89 watt versions came with a solid copper/aluminum heatsink (don't know which) but the 110w version came with a copper base and heatpipes, and its actually kinda nice for a stock heatsink.

Maverick0984

Copper > Aluminum

If anyone gets better numbers with Aluminum it is either because:
1. It is an entirely different HS with better "design" not having to do with Cu/Al
2. Something screwy is going on, difference of ambients, or mounting mistakes.

Copper has a higher thermal conductivity then Aluminum. Now what would be awesome, is if they made a HS with a Diamond(best by far) or pure Silver(2nd best) base. :D