• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When do you update bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nut

Registered
In the manual of my Abit KX-7 it says to always make sure that you have the latest bios?

Well i just installed my mobo and havent updated the bios although there is an update for it. Should i or shouldnt I

Under what circumstances should i update of flash the bios? I am

thanks.

nut said:
In the manual of my Abit KX-7 it says to always make sure that you have the latest bios?

Well i just installed my mobo and havent updated the bios although there is an update for it. Should i or shouldnt I

Under what circumstances should i update of flash the bios? I am

thanks.

If your computer is running just as you want it to with no problems then I guess I wouldnt bother.

Sometimes, like when you get a newer processor it may be neccesary to update to a bios version that will support it. Or newer features for memory and bus options and you like to experiment:)

Al

I just last week flashed/updated my bios for the first time ever, i was soiling my pants whilst it was doing it because it was my first time and i understand that if anything goes wrong then ur motherboard is prettymuch deemed useless.

Anyway, KX7-333 bios has been updated to the latest version and apparently it supports XP 2400+ and 2600+ chips now, i havent noticed any other differences though (havent really looked into it yet properly), maybe somebody can tell me???

Thanks
Seal

I update my bios to the latest version as soon as the mobo has been put in. If you are not experiencing any problems with your curent version and are not too keen on flashing the BIOS then there is really little reason to. It is entirely up to you. If you decide to do it there are plenty of great guides to help you.

about the only that can happen with a bad bios flash is the board won't boot. This can be fixed by taking the bios out of a similar board, putting it in yours, and 'hot flashing' the bad bios. Or buy a programmer and do it yourself.

I usually update mine whenever I notice that there's a new one out.

seal said:
I just last week flashed/updated my bios for the first time ever, i was soiling my pants whilst it was doing it because it was my first time and i understand that if anything goes wrong then ur motherboard is prettymuch deemed useless.

Lol

I have done it quite a few times now.

Every time I do it....
I Hold my breath.....
Cross My fingers....
And PRAY that the power does not fail!!!

Those few seconds seem like Hours sometimes:)

Considering that I get regular power outages here where I live, and that having one while flashing the BIOS can be catastrophic, I ONLY flash the BIOS when absolutely necessary...
If you are trying to install a new chip, video card, etc., and need a new BIOS in order to deal with the new component then it will be a necessity.
If you are just flashing the BIOS because it is the newest one, then you are taking a big chance for little gain...at least in my book...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...:D

I know how you feel, last night I flashed the Bios on my KD7 and it's always scary as hell. theres so little that can go wrong, but that still doesn't make it feel any safer.
just knowing that if the bios is crapped out, that you have a large 100 something dollar paperweight on your hands.
in which you need to send it to the MB maker and have them install a new Bios which that alone can cost half as much as a New board....

I update my Bios, only when absolutly necessary.

my board came with an Old bios, I have a Xp 2400 I plan to buy in a few days and My board doesn't have any settings to "see" the Xp 2400-2700 properly.
it stops at the Xp 2200.
well now I have all the way up to Xp2700 supported and a few extras in Bios too, like better support for DDR 2700 settings and they removed the 1/6th PCI divider (it's a dead feature)

but I wish there was a safer way of updating a Bios.
like a simple web update or something....

I'd have to say that the most appropriate time to update the bios is useally when you get some new hardware or need to achive more stability with your motherboard when overclocking.

OC-Master

Kunaak said:
my board came with an Old bios, I have a Xp 2400 I plan to buy in a few days and My board doesn't have any settings to "see" the Xp 2400-2700 properly.
it stops at the Xp 2200.

Yeah the updated bios is supposed to support 2400-2600 i think. I updated and checked, the max setting you can have is same as before i think its somethig like >=2100. The options 2400/2600 dont come up. The mults and stuff are still all accessable but u'll have to do that manually.

Back