• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When will I start to bottleneck with a 3570k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D.Jackson

Registered
Hey guys! I've been out of the loop for a while but now that I'm financially settled again I want to get back into the hobby. My graphics card is the first thing I'm looking to upgrade but I'm curious if I'm going to run into bottlenecking in the current generation? I'm thinking about a 980ti, 1070 or 1080. When will I start encountering this? I can either prioritize MB/CPU or grab one of these cards while I work towards other components. Thanks for any help!

wingman99

You could run a 1080 SLI and it would not bottle neck below 150FPS with 3570k. So you will be fine with a GTX 1080 until you upgrade with skylake to gain 15% in gaming FPS where it is a increase in CPU demanding games.

What games do you play?

OP
D.Jackson

D.Jackson

Registered
Mostly just Guild Wars 2 at the moment, but my friends are always picking up new things I might want to play with them from time to time. I definitely plan on upgrading to a 4K monitor in the near future as well. Thanks for the advice!

Tír na nÓg

+1 for wingman99.
No bottleneck.
You can take this CPU to 4.5GHz easy withyour cooling (assumoing it is not overclocked yet ;)).

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I don't think you will see any bottlenecking (at least nothing severe) until more games come out needing 8 threads/cores, which I don't expect to see that soon. Granted DX12 is supposed to be better at utilizing more cores as well, but there's only a handful of games slated for this year (I think) to come out anyway.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I don't think you will see any bottlenecking (at least nothing severe) until more games come out needing 8 threads/cores, which I don't expect to see that soon. Granted DX12 is supposed to be better at utilizing more cores as well, but there's only a handful of games slated for this year (I think) to come out anyway.
This... ^^

That said, if you are running 1080 SLI, overclocking that CPU (read: ANY CPU) will help increase FPS. So it would be limited in that situation (glass ceiling). The number of FPS doesn't matter, its still CPU limited with high end SLI/CFx. For example, 150 FPS was mentioned above, but if you overclock the CPU, maybe you get 160 FPS with SLI. It doesn't matter much at that frame rate, but it still will hold it back.

fosk

With the 144hz standard i feel theres already massive CPU bottle neck :( 4770k overclocked decently will be put to the test come BF1

Tír na nÓg

144Hz standard? We are more into a higher resolution trend than a higher refresh rate one. 4K/60Hz and VR/90Hz...