• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whens Dual DDR coming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Miknow

I have about 200 saved up for a motherboard and people told me to wait for the dual ddr mobo, When is it exactly coming out? Whats the price range? Which company will make the first one?

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Anytime now! I am waiting myself. Several dates are floating around, the end of Oct. (obviously not), 11/4 and 11/14. I wouldn't be surprised if Intel releases the Granite Bay the same day as the 3.06 proc (11/8?). One thing is for sure, both Granite Bay and SiS 655 mobos will be out sometime in Nov....could be a few days or a few weeks still.

I am expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $200-250. The "expensive" PE chipset boards (Asus) were $198 when initially released so I would think they'll be around there or a little more.

I am kinda planning on the Abit GB-7 Ultra myself. Asus will have the P4G8X (GB) and P4SDX (655)<-pics of that one at hardwarezone.com, so it's in production...or at least they have reference boards done already. I assume the Abit and Asus will be the first boards since they are the "main" players. Asus was first out with the PE chipset. It took Abit a few weeks to get theirs out and they are apparently having problems. I've also heard GB mobos are in the works from Albatron and Gigabyte, but no idea how far along they are...

BaldHeadedDork

Something else to remember: Maxtor announced its next-generation of drives going into production over a month ago, and they are still almost impossible to find in the retail channel. I don't know if this is because Maxtor missed the ship date-or if retailers are not ordering until their current supply of older drives is gone.

Point is, the same thing could easily happen again. I'll honestly be surprised if it doesn't. The PE chipset will be less than a month old when Granite Bay launches, if these dates are correct. You suppose Asus (for example) is going to trip over itself to put their P4PE into the granny category after just thirty days? And how anxious do you think a major retailer will be to sell GB boards when they are sitting on a few thousand freshly obsolete -E and -PE boards?

I've been suspicious of these dates from the beginning. Its way too close to the PE launch.

BHD

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
I mentioned the exact same thing in another thread, but noted that the possible price difference may make the difference between PE and GB/655 mobos...especially if the GB/655 mobos do come in over $200. That's pricey no matter how "into it" you are and PE mobos have dropped in price substantially already. I mean the IT7 Max2 Rev2 (IT7 Max2 with PE chipset) was completely pulled by Abit. It's like it never existed. My guess is they know it's not going to be a seller at close to $200 compared to GB/655s, but the $110-130 BE7s are out.

In any event, I certainly can't see the future (otherwise I'd have won the lotto in every state that has it ;)...just putting out the dates I've seen. While no one seems to agree on an exact date, sometime in Nov. seems to be a fairly sure thing. What I do know is that the PE chipset was released on 10/7 and I ordered my P4PE from Newegg on 10/10. From "release date" to the day I had one in my hands was 5 days total....including a weekend. Doesn't sound like any distribution channel bottlenecks there ;)

Whenever they do show up, I'll be waiting...

JohnnyTheRed

Would someone be kind enough to direct me to a article on Dual DDR boards?

Or just sum it up for me and tell me what exactly you gain?

Is it just some memory boost on mobos? Something to let you get up to DDR800?

Thanks.

lightbulb8817

Others can explain it better than me, but I'll try.
DCDDR is 2 sticks of memory working as 2 different sticks of ram, so that means that your bandwidth is doubled.
So if you have pc-2700 runnning at DDR 333 w/o DCDDR, you get a bandwidth of about 2600-2700. But if you have GB or SiS 655 chipset, then that means that 2600-2700 is doubled. You do the math...:eek:
You probably figured this out already, but you need 2 sticks for ram.

JohnnyTheRed

Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

One more thing, since I'm just getting into thoe whole build your own comp thing, prices are new to me :/

When the 655/GB boards Do come out, will they start out at absurd prices...thus allowing the "older" PE boards to stay at the same prices they've been at?

Or will the PE boards prices plummet nicely???

Thanks again

BaldHeadedDork

It is a memory boost. Dual DDR ties two sticks of DDR together to increase the memory bandwidth. It will increase the memory (and system) performance to RAMBUS levels.

BHD

lightbulb8817

JohnnyTheRed said:
Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

One more thing, since I'm just getting into thoe whole build your own comp thing, prices are new to me :/

When the 655/GB boards Do come out, will they start out at absurd prices...thus allowing the "older" PE boards to stay at the same prices they've been at?

Or will the PE boards prices plummet nicely???

Thanks again

Hopefully the PE prices will drop, but I would definitly go with GB (DCDDR) even if the board cost ($200-$250). The P4 processor needs as much bandwidth as possible.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
This link will get you started, but in short, it will achieve twice the current memory bandwidth, but really only up to DCDDR333 (SiS 655 chipset) and presumably, will be of no benefit right now if you read the link. See the 4:5 mem table.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00157/

If they are correct (and I see no reason to doubt them), only 200/266 will be useful until Prescott comes out next year with it's stock 166FSB. Woof.

DDR800 probably won't be until DDR-II (if and when it comes out), which will be able to run single sticks like DDR400 or even mixed sticks if I remember correctly. It will actually be Quad Data Rate on the sticks and probably called QDR.

Also, I think someone at hardocp.com got their hands on a reference DCDDR mobo and had some memory benches of it. I think they had to take them down, but there probably is a long a$$ thread about it in their forums. The benches were pretty wicked though and the bump in memory bandwidth should really effect the processor's performance in addition to real world performance (as opposed to synthetic benchmarks).

The PE mobos are alread dropping in price. You can easily pick one up for the same price as a similarly featured 845E mobo. I paid $198 for the P4PE the first week it was released (no doubt, Asus has some of the most expensive mobos out there) and two weeks later it was $165. You can pick up name brand PE mobos for easily in the $90-110 range right now. I almost can't imagine them getting much cheaper than that.

If you can swing it, I would definitely save up for a Granite Bay ("Intel E7205 chipset") or SiS 655 mobo instead though. It basically has everything the PE chipset has + Dual Channel DDR.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Shheeeeiiiitt. I am having trouble just waiting for GB. I had to resort to putting LED fans in my case because I am not doing anything hardware-wise until I get one :eek:

Coz

yeahyeahifIdon'tgetanupgradesoontheni'llgobloodymentalbecauseican'ttakeitanymoreahhhhhhhhhwhydon'tthevoicesstoptheydon'teverstoptheyneverstopahhhhhhhhnobeerandnoupgradingmakecozsomethingsomethingaaahhhhh................::eek::eek::eek:

So an upgrade would be nice.:)

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
LOL. Well, since the LED fans (intakes) were lower CFM than the ones they replaced, I took the "there's no GB mobo to buy yet" opportunity to finally add a side intake to my case. I used one of the 40CFM fans that was in the front. Case/CPU temps are now 3C cooler with the case completely closed up than they were immediately before with the side open! Not only that, the pain generator, er I mean Tornado, sound was cut by 2/3 with the side on :D I think that I may actually keep it now...LOL.

Now I just need to fight the urge to add a second side intake and top exhaust so I don't mess up a good thing.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Hopefully they (aftermarket mobo manufacturers) have the brains to know that neither the general "enthusiast" population, nor "pump 'em out by the truckload" home PC manufacturers (probably their biggest buyers) are not going to be willing to pay an arm and a leg for mobos just because Intel calls them server/workstation chipsets :) OR maybe that's why they're not afraid to release them so soon after the PEs.

If Intel prices the chipsets as server/workstation to the aftermarket companies, you'd have to think that they wouldn't be particularly excited about having to go from $100-$150 mobos to well over $300 no matter what the hubbub about the chipset is. I am pretty sure pricing .vs potential sales volume would've been taken into account before any of them jumped in feet first....and I don't think $400 mobos are seen as big sellers. Not with RDRAM as an option substantially cheaper than that.

I certainly hope you're not right. I was expecting something in the $200-$300 range for the initial release, but if they come in over $300, well, I'll just have to either wait to see what the 655s come in at or what the the GBs drop to as soon as the 655s are released. I honestly can't see them catering to only the tech sector by hyping up prices for what is basically an RDRAM performance equivalent mobo. The only thing that would give the GB an advantage over an RDRAM mobo is the HT and 8x AGP (which isn't particularly a selling point in my book ;)

I guess we'll find out any day now, but now you gave me sticker shock before they even come out :D

seamadan000

that was just speculation on my part, but retail mobos are typically pretty expensive from this segment of the market. The OEMs won't have any qualms, because intel gives them a huge discount. that's the reason intel is the biggest, they play the game right.
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited:

FIZZ3

Doofie27cp2 said:
will dual ddr act like RDRAM in a way?

Yes and DDR266 Dual Channel matches the theoretical bandwidth of PC1066 Rambus (which is dual channel itself) exactly at 4.2Gb/s.