• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I buy Liquid Nitrogen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I'm tired of being out done by all the Japanese overclockers, so I decided to do an extreme experiment of my own. First I used dry ice and got fairly good results, taking an unlocked P4 up to 2GHz. Now I would like to go even farther. Does anybody know where I could buy liquid nitrogen? I was thinking a medical supply center, but I don't know how much it costs, and how quickly it evaporates. I'm not too familiar with handling precautions, but I would think glasses, gloves, and heavy clothing in case of splashing would be prudent.

Ken,

The hardware monitor quit working pretty quickly (I forget the temp) but dry ice is -109F. I suspect it was at least -90F.

I work for a welding co. and we use nitrogen to disapate all the ox to be able to weld exotic metals. My advice to you is to leave the liquid nitrogen alone. It can cause death very quickly. Like I said we use it to disapate ox. There was a death in Lake Charles LA. last month where they were use ing the stuf to purge a system. If you don't know the proper personal protective equipment to use for nitrogen then you need to leave it alone.
Well that is my thoughts on that. It is your life and it is to short to take chances with if you don't know what you are doing.

donnie (Apr 15, 2001 08:57 a.m.):
I work for a welding co. and we use nitrogen to disapate all the ox to be able to weld exotic metals. My advice to you is to leave the liquid nitrogen alone. It can cause death very quickly. Like I said we use it to disapate ox. There was a death in Lake Charles LA. last month where they were use ing the stuf to purge a system. If you don't know the proper personal protective equipment to use for nitrogen then you need to leave it alone.
Well that is my thoughts on that. It is your life and it is to short to take chances with if you don't know what you are doing.

I second that very, very strongly. No one admittedly unfamiliar with proper hazardous material handling needs to go any where near these substances. Even people who are trained and do it for a living have terrible accidents from time to time. Do not do this.

I think you can get it from some welding gas supply places, or at least you can order it. You'll need to rent or buy a container. As for how super-hazardous it is, as long as you have good venalation in the room I think you should be fine with small amounts. If this is untrue, I'm a little worried because my chem teacher pours the stuff on the floor for fun.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am aware of the danger of oxygen being displaced. A good friend of mine used to own a welding shop. He said you have to be careful when doing as I believe he called it - TIG or MIG welding. I would only require small quantities, and be right near a window with a ventilation fan.

Back