• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you buy CPU's from?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calavera

I go to pricewatch first to find out how much I should expect.

But where do you guys buy your CPU's from?

Would you spend an extra $10~30 to buy the CPU from a vendor you know is reliable or take chances and buy it the cheapest from vendors you don't even know?

Or our very own classifieds. ;)

I've had good luck with ebay thus far, but it's always a gamble to some extent. I've had nothing but goog results with mwave.com as well. (Bought ram there.)

-- Paul

Billy Bob's shack on the side of I-94.

j/k

i order most of my stuff from googlegear.com because of their 2 day fedex shipping for .50USD

Well....

Googlegear shipped my CPU through UPS who then lost it. SO they were kind enough to credit me back. However since i live in canada i found a local vendor that matches american on-line prices. So this way i dont have to pay for shipping and canadian duties taxes. Also NCIX.com is pretty good. They went out and searched for a particular stepping for me.

Take Care.

Kam

Most of the time I buy from Newegg the prices are competitive and the customer service is second to none. If they don't have what I'm looking for I use price watch and then I check the vendors that I find at http://www.resellerratings.com/

I will not buy from a company with a bad rating I did it once and got taken. That's all it took for me to learn.

How do you guys find out about those local computer shows?
I live in Seattle, and try as I might, I haven't been able to find one.

I almost never buy online.
Always local, price is about the same once you put shipping in and you dont have to play the waiting game...
Had to wait for a waterblock and FX card once, and almost a week of waiting just about killed me.

Also you can hand pick your parts and that is one of the best part about getting stuff locally.

The computer shows are nice mainly for cpus. Most of the vendors are nice enough to let you look at the tray, or box depending. Come prepared knowing some distuingishing feature and you can pick out your product codes or voltage or whatever. Product codes are the best because there are temperature threshold variances within the steppings.

jay said:
I almost never buy online.
Always local, price is about the same once you put shipping in and you dont have to play the waiting game...
Had to wait for a waterblock and FX card once, and almost a week of waiting just about killed me.

Also you can hand pick your parts and that is one of the best part about getting stuff locally.
And you don't have to worry about FedEX destroying it. ;) -- Paul

menting said:
How do you guys find out about those local computer shows?
I live in Seattle, and try as I might, I haven't been able to find one.

The main show sponsor is marketpro (www.marketpro.com) but they don't seem to have any shows in the Seattle area. You might want to see if there is a local PC Users' Group website or discussion board where Seattle users can tell you about local shows.

Here's a place to start:

http://www.kegs.org/

Komputer Enthusiasts of Greater Seattle

Great! thanks a lot!
i guess it's a good starting point.

I have no idea how you can find these things

Back