• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you live? Fold, I mean.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NedClocker

What I would like to know is, Do you like where you live?

And, more specifically, if I decided to just pick up and move, would you recommend moving to where you live?

I'm do not wish to get too personal, or anything like that.

But, I'd really like to know. If I could move anywhere in the contiguous US, where should I go? Would you recommend your city?

In order to make this folding forum pertinent, :rolleyes: would you recomend your city as a good place to fold?

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Hmm. well I like where i live, in los angeles, however it is one of the more expensive cities to live in I think... and depending on who your power provider is, it can be cheap or expensive. The DWP (dept. of water and power) is a municipality and services my home and i pay roughly $.08 per KWH at home. My office is serviced by Edison... I pay roughly $.17 per KWH so double. And no you can't pick the DWP instead of Edison... the DWP has a service area and if you fall in that area you must use the DWP which means I am very lucky!

bigdaddyTank

I fold in a suburb of Kansas City, on the Kansas side. Its a great area, I was born here. I spent 10 years in Dallas then came back 17 years ago. I cant imagine Folding anyplace else. Small town atmosphere but still has alot of stuff to do and see. Sure our baseball team sucks but the football is pretty good and we have a racetrack also. Its cold and snows in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. We really only have 2 seasons though, winter and road construction season. Its a great place to fold though, most of the area has access to either Roadrunner or Comcast broadband. :) Cost of living is pretty good also. PLUS we have the best BBQ in the world :D
WOW I feel like a realestate agent now. :cool:

OP
NedClocker

NedClocker

bigdaddyTank said:
WOW I feel like a realestate agent now. :cool:

LOL

We're all salesmen from time to time, of necessity, whether we realize it or not. :eek:

bigdaddyTank said:
PLUS we have the best BBQ in the world

Gee, now I'm hungry, for some odd reason. I wonder if McKenzie's delivers.

Are you in tornado alley?

Anybody ever seen a waterspout? I saw my first one last week in Galveston. Sitting in Wendy's on Seawall. Wasn't stormy weather, but cloudy. Kinda cool. Not sure what we'd of done if it had started heading our way. Came down, kicked up water for 5 or 10 minutes, then went back up.

Last edited:

bizhar

Really depends on what you are looking for in a city.
I'm in NC right now just outside of Charlotte. Its growing very quickly around here, so there are some problems that go along with that, like increased traffic , but not near Houston or Atlanta or LA levels :)
I've lived in Detroit, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and travelled quite a bit. I've found that it really depends on what your personal interests are. You'll find a way to pay for the increase in electric bills if you enjoy where you live. A lot of people are moving south because a lot of companies are moving south to enjoy lower taxes. I personally do not like the long cold gray winters in the north east, so i'm happy in the tar heel state.
I've seen a waterspout on lake Huron, pretty neat!!

Mr. Chambers

i live in north central iowa. about 30 miles southeast of Mason City (population 35,000). my town has about 250 people. its basically just farmland as far as the eye can see around here. also, it gets pretty boring, there is very little to do. however if you like it quiet, i couldn't think of a better place :p

being iowa, its also one of the cheaper places to live i would think. and believe it or not, i do have broadband access, so its not like you're out in the boonies.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
As listed <------- I'm in Stevensville, MI. The village of. Pop of about 2500. The county of Berrien (for which I work) pop of about 170000. As of yesterday I can say it is a *great* place to live. Why 'yesterday'. Because after 7 years of waiting, I got Comcast 3.0 highspeed internet. Whoot!

Small town in a larger county. I overlook Lake Michigan. Because of the lake, we get a fair amount of rain and snow above and beyond other areas.

On a clear day with Binocs, you can see the Sears Tower of Chicago. A $16 round trip train ticket or 2 hours each way car ride will get you to the Windy city. Home of .....

The Lake protects us from twisters and such. I've seen water spouts on the lake but the water takes the twist out of 'em before they hit land. Cost of living is low, 2 bed apt overlooking the lake is $600/mth. Good luck finding work here.

Oh, we have not 1 but 2 Nuke plants within the 60 mile radius. Electric is .026 cents/kwh. Gives a different meaning to 'glowing'.

OP
NedClocker

NedClocker

bizhar said:
Really depends on what you are looking for in a city.

You'll find a way to pay for the increase in electric bills if you enjoy where you live.

Don't know what I'm looking for, other than some place away. I know. Runing from your problems does not solve them. But, humor me.
(No, come to think of it, it really WOULD solve some of them.)

Electric bill is not the motivation. Trust me, I wouldn't up and move to another city just for a lower electric bill, unless, maybe, it was an astronomically lower electric bill. And, probably not even then.

Think of how long it would take to recoup the expense of moving just by having a lower electric bill.

Scary_Penguin

I live in New Orleans, Louisiana. Not the greatest place to live (its too hot and humid for me) but a phenominal place to fold. There is untapped power beyond belief all across the city. If you are a southern person, you may like it someplace outside the city, as the surrounding counties and the West Bank of the Mississippi are nicer areas. There is a deep thread of culture here, and it makes a great place for people to come visit you. Oh, and if you are the occasional drinker/partier... thats what this city is known for :) :beer:

As a sidenote I would reccomend hands down my hometown of Mentor Ohio! :p

OP
NedClocker

NedClocker

Mr. Chambers said:
it gets pretty boring, there is very little to do.
however if you like it quiet,

Maybe not THAT quiet. Clean air would be great, though. I kinda remember what clean air is like. I'll bet you can see lotsa on a clear night!

OP
NedClocker

NedClocker

Scary_Penguin said:
I live in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Oh, and if you are the occasional drinker/partier... thats what this city is known for :) :beer:

Hard to imagine anyone not knowing that New Orleans is in LA. LOL

I went there for Mardi Gras 3 years in a row when I was in college. Had a friend who went to Tulane.

Yep, New Orleans can accomodate the occasional partier. One might become a somewhat more than occasional partier living there.

Excelent recommendation. LA is considerable less anal than TX. I remember seeing liquor for sale in convience stores!!! You'll not see that in Texas.

Side note: Talk about some confused people.

When first went to wife's hometown, in the state ranks #50 in just about everything, liquor was legal, beer was not.
Then, one day, they voted out liquor, and voted beer in.

Go figure. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Liquor stores there went out of business over night.

Last edited:

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
im in Brunswick Ohio. (personally) i like Ohio. it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. the leaves on the trees change color in the fall. there are big(ish) cities (if you like concrete) and there is "farm land" not more than 30 min drive away. if you want suburbs, we've got plenty of that too. ive never lived outside of Ohio so i cant really compare but i can say that i dont plan on moving out of Ohio.

BTW my elect is: 4.8 cents/kWh

OP
NedClocker

NedClocker

Joe Camel said:
im in Brunswick Ohio. (personally) i like Ohio. it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. the leaves on the trees change color in the fall. there are big(ish) cities (if you like concrete) and there is "farm land" not more than 30 min drive away. if you want suburbs, we've got plenty of that too. ive never lived outside of Ohio so i cant really compare but i can say that i dont plan on moving out of Ohio.

BTW my elect is: 4.8 cents/kWh

Do the leaves crackle under your feet in the fall?

I've read about that in books, but never experienced it here.

ok. I suppose I should find out my elect rate here. Uh, I'll look that up soon; some time soon. Maybe.

I need to floss my teeth and balance my checkbook first. And wash my hair.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
NedClocker said:
Do the leaves crackle under your feet in the fall?

I've read about that in books, but never experienced it here.

there is NOTHING like going for a walk in the woods on a cool fall day (with the sound of leaves crackling under your feet :) ) or bundling up in 50 layers of cloths to keep warm and walking around on a COLD winter night (with the sound of the snow crackling under your feet)

i cant imagine living in a city, where the only trees or grass has been put there just for looks, or if you cant find a place where the nearest person is miles away.

this all coming from somebody that sits in the basement in front of my PC all day...damn i need to get out more ;)

OP
NedClocker

NedClocker

Joe Camel said:
there is NOTHING like going for a walk in the woods on a cool fall day (with the sound of leaves crackling under your feet :) )

Darn it, stop that. Rub it in, will ya.

Joe Camel said:
this all coming from somebody that sits in the basement in front of my PC all day...damn i need to get out more ;)

Hum. I'm glad I'm not like that. :rolleyes:

Hey, what's that bright light that's coming thru my window now?
Does this window face West? 5 o'clock and a Westward facing window. Gee, not sure.

I wonder what the weather's like today.

And why does my mon keep nagging me about 6 year olds needing to get outside? We drive to a store nearly every day!

She even threatened to take back the swingset they put in my backyard.

bigdaddyTank

We get some tornadoes, most of the big ones go through Oklahoma and central Kansas. Leaves look good and are nice unless you have 8 very large trees in your yard like I do. In the fall I usually have about 15 to 20 bags of leaves a week. I got tired of raking and just ride around on my mower sucking them up :) Lucky for us the local trash company takes it all. It is defintely better than just sitting in a basement staring at the computer. We dont get as much snow like we did when I was kid here though, must be global warming :rolleyes: Kinda cuts down on the sledding.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Well.... I live in Pasadena CA (just 15 miles north of LA) and it's a nice town to live in. We have the Rose Bowl, all of Los Angeles, and the beaches just 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic.

However, I've lived all over and here's my list of places I would like to live if I were going to up and leave right now. The two top priorities for places that I would live is weather and "things to do." I will not live in the freezing cold of the north and north east, nor will I crawl around in the muggy heat like in the south. I also need a place that is at least close to a major city and/or has a bevy of outdoor fun available.

1. Hawaii. If you are going to move, why not move to paradise? I've been there twice and it's the most beautiful place in the US IMO. Cost of living is a little higher, but I live in So Cal so I'm used to it. You have beautiful weather 24/7/365 and an endless supply of outdoor entertainment. There is ample work on the big island or in Oahu.

2. Denver CO. This is a beautiful city filled a wonderful mixture of some old charm and new industry. The weather is wonderful six months out of the year, during the summer it will be hot/humid, winter is snow/ice/cold.

3. San Diego CA. More beaches, more beautiful weather, and Tijuana is only a border jump away. Better yet, Baja and Rosirito is just a couple of hours drive.

4. Redlands CA. This is a beautiful little town near where I grew up that has a rich history of orange grove farming. It has a small town feel and you are literally an hour from the desert, the mountains, the beach and Los Angeles. There is no better place to have access to it all and yet still keep the small town feel.

I have been to 40 of the 50 states, four provinces in Canada, and down into Mexico as deep as Rosirito (only about a 90 minutes drive south of the border) and there are many beautiful cities that I left off this list because of an extreme cost of living (the entire San Francisco area is out of control) or weather (Prescott Arizona is a quaint town but it has a more extreme weather change than Denver).

Wedo

OP
NedClocker

NedClocker

bigdaddyTank said:
Leaves look good and are nice unless you have 8 very large trees in your yard like I do.

I'm pretty sure I have at least 8.

Two of my neighbors across the street decided about 2 or 3 years ago that they were tired of raking leaves, and had all of there trees cut down.

One of them is a law enforcement official of considerable seniority. (Lt. detective, last I knew.) Not sure that has anything to do with it; on the other hand, it's kinda scary.

Gee, I wonder if cutting down all of their trees had any affect on their electric bills.

Haven't felt mean enough to ask either of them yet. Not that I'm sure they would be completely honest with me, though.

They still have to rake up the leaves from the next door neighbors magnolia tree, though.

I'll rake, thank you. I have cut a couple of pines, but no significant trees providing significant shade. Planted a couple of oaks in the back yard.

Last edited:
OP
NedClocker

NedClocker

Wedo said:
I will not live in the freezing cold of the north and north east,
Agree. Snowed in for months isn't what I think of as "living". And not comfortable with weather that can actually kill you. Well, not on a daily basis, for months on end.

Wedo said:
nor will I crawl around in the muggy heat like in the south.
Crawl? Hum.
It's home. Bred, born and raised here. Never lived in any other state, and never very far from the coast.

Wedo said:
1. Hawaii.
Yep. $$$
Wedo said:
2. Denver CO.
I've heard it's wonderful. And chips don't go stale there if you leave the bag open for a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

bigdaddyTank

I wouldnt mind taking out a couple of them but the shade is worth it. I actually have a magnolia tree that I really like. My electric bill is not bad it figures out to about .12 a KWH my bill is usually $130, thats for only 1000 sq/ft. Its an older smaller house. Thats with all the computers running 24/7 and the AC running 24/7 to keep the house around 72 degrees. My dog cant handle the heat so I keep it cold in here, helps the computers also :D