• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where is Ed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PreservedSwine

Mod's, if this is the wrong forum for this, my apologies- move it to wherever you need to:)

After checking out Nvidia's "PRE-view" which consisted of Nvidia supplying graphs telling people how fast their cards will be in 2-3 months, and not allowing anyone to actually even use them, I was curious if Ed was going to chime in. Given his past condemnation of such antics, Where is Ed?:eh?:

Here was Ed's take of the R9700 announcement and PRE-view.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips061/

Last edited:
OP
PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine

Cullam3n said:
There was a huge discussion about this article here and at anandtech. Kind of late there. :bang head

-PC

I'm not surprised. Many saw it as biased hogwash. I just wanted to see if Ed was being biased.

His absence is conspicuous.....

Kendan

Senior Punk
Ummm. Do you even read the front page? Or read Ed's entire article about the ATI situation? Here is a quote from the front page.

nVidia Makes Worse Ripoffs Of Bad Movies to promote their new product. Since we believe in quality products, no point in telling you where to find them. We want you to avoid propaganda, not run to it. :)

Nor do we see any point regurgitating any Comdex-inspired marketing fluff from the place, either. If nVidia tries to play "Outer Limits" with controlled reviews, we'll say nasty things about that just like we did when ATI did it.

If we see specs connected to actual (or easily surmisable) product and prices, that we'll talk about, because that actually matters.

Our primary interest, as always, will be the video card most of you will be likely to buy, which will be the sub-$200 one.

If I had to venture a guess right now, the top end NV30 will be somewhat better than the R9700 Pro, but not by any earth-shattering degree. Like the R9700, the price will preclude a prudent purchase.

I'd also guess that the sub-$200 card will perform roughly the same as the R9700, maybe the 9700 Pro (which will mean a much lower price on the ATI product).

This is the comparison to watch. If you want a new video card next March or so, and don't want to pay a couple hundred dollars extra for fleeting glory, that will be your choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP
PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine

Kendan said:
Ummm. Do you even read the front page? Or read Ed's entire article about the ATI situation? Here is a quote from the front page.

Yes, I saw that, that's what got me wondering where is Ed?

After all, to quote Ed, when refering to the R9700:"Who The Hell Runs Games At 1600X1200?"
Just wondering if Ed is an equal opportunity basher, or if he picks and chooses his targets, rather than allowing them to expose themselves....

DaddyB

Kendan said:

quote:
nVidia Makes Worse Ripoffs Of Bad Movies to promote their new product. Since we believe in quality products, no point in telling you where to find them. We want you to avoid propaganda, not run to it....

I emailed Ed with the links to the movies he reffered to and asked him if he would an article, he emailed me back and said he would. Just because he's Ed doesn't mean he sees/knows all, email him with the links to that benchmark (I dont know if this is the one you were talking about) and Im sure he will post a comment if he feels it is newsworthy.

One major difference is that when ATi did it all of the sites were not allowed to post benchmark numbers, only how much faster the 9700 was percentage wise. With this Nvidia thing I havent seen many sites post reviews, only one in fact so odds are he hasnt seen it. Even if he has he may not think its newsworthy since its only one site but its worth a shot, the other major difference is that with the 9700 Preview the reviewers were at least allowed to use the 9700 and run whatever they wanted as long as they didnt post 3dmarks or actual numbers...Nvidia has taken it to the next step and run the benchmarks for the reviewers and of course they will have only shown the benches that make the card look best.

I'd also like to say that I dont and have never thought Ed was biased towards any company over another.