• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where is the Folding.exe in Services?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Hey all,

I'm sliding the Fold into a few machines here at work, I'm up to three so far, and I need to be able to disconnect the auto-start function. I only want to have the program run on machines that I log into as admin (usually when they are not being used, or when the end user is a glorified surfer :) ).

I have searched the services, the registry, and under the profiles to find teh core.exe etc. to take Folding off the start up menu.

We are running W2K pro on all of our machines on a W2K Adv. Server network.

Thanks is advance,
Wedo

btw: I have my sig machine folding@home as well.... It punched out a WU and a half in about ten hours.

The client usually places a shortcut in the startup folder so that it runs from the start. If you delete it then it should be OK. It will also set itself as the default screensaver. The screensaver has had a bad track record though and you're probably better off getting rid of that part of it.

Those are the only things to worry about as far as that is concerned. The core_65 startup is controlled entirely by the main front end program winfah.exe or fahconsole.exe, whichever you use.

Ploaf,

Thanks for the reply. I made the mistake of going to complicated. Most of the services I run go right through the actual services structure of Win2K. I didn't even think about the simple start up menu on the desktop ala Win98.

Doh. Sometimes you can be too geek for your own good.... but the good thing is that I'll have about eight machines running here at work by the day's end.

Wedo

Tweaked! said:
That sound great! Hope you've got permision to doso though, don't want you to get in trouble;)

Heh heh.... I am the one who gives permission :) It's good to be "The" admin.

Cheers,
Wedo

Wedo said:

Doh. Sometimes you can be too geek for your own good.... but the good thing is that I'll have about eight machines running here at work by the day's end.

Wedo

Simple is good but so are the "geek" posts like the network boot win2k server post that could be very useful in the future. That is, assuming you can afford win2k advanced server ;)

Back