• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where should I put my HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

Now this sounds like a REALLY dumb question.. but I actually can't decide!

My case came with a crappy spot for a hard drive. Just 1 spot under the floppy drive... that's it. There, it will get no cooling or anything. Actually, anywhere I put it won't get any cooling but anyways...
Either I can put it in there, or I can use some rails and mount it right above my fan controler. It's an extra 5.25" bay I won't need. I am looking for the place it will be the quietest, and the coolest. I figured that there is already a mess of cables around the back of the CD drives, why not add some more? Air isn't really supposed to flow directelly up there anyways...

I wanted to get a HDD cooler... are they really worth it? I am very short on cash, so I can't really afford a good $30 one, but then I found this...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-888-604&depa=0
It's really cheap, but has no votes or reviews. And I can't find any...
Should I just save my cash for one one of these?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-888-111&depa=0

Thx :)

OP
PCGUY112887

PCGUY112887

Humm, maybe people are skipping this topic and thinking "NOOB!'
Guess the title isn't the best....

urbancontra

Just throw that sucka in there! If there happens to be a fan blowing on it, then cool. If not then don't worry about it.
A lot of times what oem computer vendors do when they have no fan blowing directly on the HD is mount it so that the flat aluminum part is flush against a metal part of the case. This makes the pc more silent, and helps (somewhat) to dissipate the heat.
Even so, What kind of case did u get? do u have a link? Let's see what we can do here!
:attn:

zip22

i dont think the cheap hard drive cooler would be worth it. i would go with the 5.25" option and if you wanted, you could try to mod a 40mm fan or 2 into the thing at the front of the 5.25" bay

OP
PCGUY112887

PCGUY112887

hehe, I actually bought all of the stuff to make my own hard drive silencer.. I just never did it. It was on some site all about quiet PC's... they used like aluminum on the top and bottom, padding on the sides and machine screws to hold it together, sort of a hard drive sandwhich they called it.