• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to buy those old beige full towers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesman32

Anyone have any good places to buy those really old and plain beige full tower cases? I've seen them on eBay, but it's like $30 for a case, and $40 for shipping, which isn't too bad, but it's a bit more than I wanna spend on a case I'm just gonna paint and hack up.

hinderpits

I'm pretty sure that if you head to any local computer hole in the wall and tell the guy you want to buy empty beige towers he will hook you up an infinite supply at a lot less than 70 dollars per case......(unless the towers HAVE to be new anyway) I have a whole pile of beigies in my storage room, you drive to fl and their yours free:beer: lol

OP
jamesman32

jamesman32

Yeah I could really care less if they're used. I just want something that isn't dented like it was hit with a hammer and dropped out a window.

Last edited:

nd4spdbh2

craigslist... usually can find an old beige box for 60ish bucks with working hardware.... buy comp, sell the combo on craigslist for 60 bucks... = free case

or go to local mom n pop comp shop, the one here local to me is pretty cool gone in there twice and the guy just gave me a full working old comp someone didnt want.

OP
jamesman32

jamesman32

I just checked craigslist. Lotta old computers, but none of them are the full towers I'm really hunting for. There's a shop called HMComputer in my town that advertises in the mall and on CL, but their website loads really slowly and I cant get the page to open. I wanna call before I drive over there.

ratbuddy

I just checked craigslist. Lotta old computers, but none of them are the full towers I'm really hunting for. There's a shop called HMComputer in my town that advertises in the mall and on CL, but their website loads really slowly and I cant get the page to open. I wanna call before I drive over there.

Check with Kaplan Computers down in Manchester too. They sell a lot of older stuff. I'm still kicking myself over the time I went in and saw several boxes of IBM Model M's for $5 a keyboard, and I only bought 1.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
There's a full beige tower sitting at a local second hand shop that hasn't been bought yet. I think it's pre-ATX era but if you're interested I can check it Monday (too late to check today and they are closed weekend) It's $50 and it's a full working P2-266 system with internal mini-Disc player. The mini Disc player is the only thing that interested me but not for $50.

ratbuddy

Oh, I almost forgot about Kaplan. Thanks for reminding me, I'll give them a call on Monday.

I almost forgot too, if you've never been, make sure to get down to the Pratt and Whitney surplus store at least once in your life. They always have hella cool stuff. Last time I was there they had a huge IBM mainframe crying out for a new home. S/390, IIRC.

OP
jamesman32

jamesman32

I almost forgot too, if you've never been, make sure to get down to the Pratt and Whitney surplus store at least once in your life. They always have hella cool stuff. Last time I was there they had a huge IBM mainframe crying out for a new home. S/390, IIRC.

My dad actually works at UTC, so he's bought stuff there before I'm pretty sure. If not, he probably knows a few people that work there. He calls them the Pratt Rats, lol.

OP
jamesman32

jamesman32

Found this on eBay. $20 with $30 shipping. Not terrible

Attachments

• bluefulltower.jpg
    bluefulltower.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,892
  • Case03.jpg
    Case03.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,016
  • FullTowerbottom.jpg
    FullTowerbottom.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,333

Mpegger

Shipping on those old cases is always going to be high. Many were pure steel and built like a brick. I can use my old 486 mid-tower as a foot stool and not worry about it buckling under my weight. No way would I try that with any of my newer cases.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
That $20 case looks beautiful in an old overclocking way... great for water cooling and modding :) I found a nice super micro full tower on CL with some hardware in it (not a full system though) for $25. Maybe it was $40 actually, can't remember but it did have some decent hardware in it. You can also check the dump for computer goodies, just don't get in trouble ;)

By the way, our policy on selling/buying/trading in these forums is to do it in a thread in the classifides section (100 posts & ISP email required) and not by PM or in other threads.
EDIT: ^ * comment at post #3, not about this thread in general *

OP
jamesman32

jamesman32

That $20 case looks beautiful in an old overclocking way... great for water cooling and modding :) I found a nice super micro full tower on CL with some hardware in it (not a full system though) for $25. Maybe it was $40 actually, can't remember but it did have some decent hardware in it. You can also check the dump for computer goodies, just don't get in trouble ;)

By the way, our policy on selling/buying/trading in these forums is to do it in a thread in the classifides section (100 posts & ISP email required) and not by PM or in other threads.
EDIT: ^ * comment at post #3, not about this thread in general *

Ahh you're right on that! It slipped my mind! Post edited. Also yeah, I'm really going for an old nestalgic look, something retro but with new hardware. I have plans for a paint inside and out, and then a window mod, once I find my case.

spook42088

Found this on eBay. $20 with $30 shipping. Not terrible

most people dont like this style case :) i do i have the mini version of it and besides the hard drive try being in the way i love the case and airflow isn't a big issue my rig stays pretty cool even while overclocked :)

(G{in}[AK)TION]

most people dont like this style case :) i do i have the mini version of it and besides the hard drive try being in the way i love the case and airflow isn't a big issue my rig stays pretty cool even while overclocked :)

seeing how you must be new here...

check the date on the posts you find. usually you would want to look at the ones that are in BOLD letters. indicating that those are threads still active here in the forums.

also, welcome!

spook42088

seeing how you must be new here...

check the date on the posts you find. usually you would want to look at the ones that are in BOLD letters. indicating that those are threads still active here in the forums.

also, welcome!

not new back after along time been 10 years or so since iver been on here

Status
Not open for further replies.