• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to get an Iwaki?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

$119.95... *twitches*.. *curls up*.. *dies*
i wanted one of those too
why r they so expensive!!
argh...
guess i'm stuck with my $25 maxijet

Deathmasher

I have to say that there is not a better pump out there. I have see Iwaki pumps that are 12 years old running in a sal****er envoinment that still put as strong as the day they were bought. The mags, ehiems and max jets are pretty much just power heads made for water circulation insid a fis tank or pond. That is why they are so cheap. An Iwaki is ment to run the filtration of your tank so it has to be bullet proof.

sbud

WOOT ! ! ! ! ! , I finally got one . I remember nikhsub1 saying "always check ebay, Iwaki md-15rs pop up from time to time". I've been keepin an eye out for ever since. Patience has it's virtues... :)

Hey nik, I think I got it for just about the same price you did, no?

Last edited:

pphx459

Registered
Deathmasher said:
I have to say that there is not a better pump out there. I have see Iwaki pumps that are 12 years old running in a sal****er envoinment that still put as strong as the day they were bought. The mags, ehiems and max jets are pretty much just power heads made for water circulation insid a fis tank or pond. That is why they are so cheap. An Iwaki is ment to run the filtration of your tank so it has to be bullet proof.

Are these things noisy? What are the specs? Looks pretty expensive though.

OP
ToolBox

ToolBox

These things are quiet, have high head and good flow. Decent wattage [35w methink] and it doesn't add it to the water, but the outside gets hot. Only downside is its price.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
sbud said:
WOOT ! ! ! ! ! , I finally got one . I remember nikhsub1 saying "always check ebay, Iwaki md-15rs pop up from time to tome". I've been keepin an eye out for ever since. Patience has it's virtues... :)

Hey nik, I think I got it for just about the same price you did, no?
Hehe, you took the advice well my young apprentice! Seriously, great steal you got there! I got mine for around $70 shipped. That is the single best purchase you could have made. The pumps specs:

3.4M max head
300 GPH @ zero
31W

And quite correct, the casing of the Iwakis get HOT, I mean burn your hand hot. Do not fret, this is totally normal. If you can, have a fan blowing on it, if not, again don't worry about it. I had mine running for almost a year with no direct air on it. Now, I have the pump right behind one of my heater cores. One last tip, get some neoprene (mouse pad material) and cut it to fit the bottom of the mounting bracket, then superglue it on the bracket. This will insure the pump to be as quiet as it can be.

pump.jpg

zachsss626

Registered
I'm building an external WC box that's about 6-7' away from the PC, and at the same height. On one loop I have an MCW462-UH and a 2-342 HC, and on the other I have an MCW50, MCW20 (or other NB block) and another 2-342. 1/2" barbs and 1/2" ID clearflex 60 are used across the board, with exception to the heater cores. I'll use wyes on the input and output of the pump to separate the loops. Would a single MD-15 be enough to handle this setup?

BTW, sorry this is somewhat offtopic, but I can't seem to get a reply in my thread.