• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to get bios updates?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I have a ga-7vrx gigabyte mobo. I tried posting it in the gigabyte section, but got no response. Well, AnyWay....., i would like to get a new bios, because this one has only a few decent features. Prettymuch all i like about it is that it has fsb in bios. Plz respond, realy need an update.

I got the auto updates, but i dont need that. I want a totaly new bios, not the autoupdate one. I have dual bios so im not worried, but a NEW BIOS would be nice, not an upgrade.

Though there are a few companies out there that will write a custom BIOS for your board, they are expensive, and the results aren't too good from what I've heard. Trying a BIOS for another board is pretty much doomed to failure as well. The BIOS is very specific to the components on the motherboard, so even a motherboard that has very similar parts most likely doesn't have an interchangeable BIOS.
In my opinion, your best option is to live with your board, and save up to get one that has the BIOS options that you want.
In my experience, two good candidates are Abit and Epox.

Im just trying to get a good overclock. I can get up to 150 fsb stable, but beyond that it either doesnt start and has to go to the second bios, or reboots randomly. Ive tried increasing my voltage for everything, setting the memory requirements to less agressive settings, and the temps are always fine. What is up with that?

I think your best bet there is to find out what overclocks some of the other here have been able to achieve with that board.
Just a shot in the dark, how well is your power supply holding the +5 volt line?
What CPU do you have?
Knowing what component is holding back you OC is a bit of an art. But don't give up, just be careful, and read every post here that you think might relate to your situation.

Ive got an athlon xp1600+, 256 megs of good pc2700, a stupid 5400rpm 40gig maxtor hd, a geforce4 mx440(recent upgrade from mx200 with no change), volcano 7(modified, 2 fans side by side), stupid codegen350 watt made in china psu, lots of fans, stupid case, 40x cd burner, netgear fast311 10/100 card, diamond mm suprasst v92 modem, win xp pro Things called stupid are things i want to replace cause in my opinion there not cutting edge.

Back