• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to mount temp probe on hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

I have the Enermax temperature monitoring driver rack and was wondering where the best place to mount the sensor is on my hard drive.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Hmm, this might be better in the storage forum, but here goes ....

I would spot check different parts of the drive and see what part gets hottest. Recent evidence points to the sides of the drive for high-RPM drives. Once you find the hottest spot, that's where I would leave the sensor.

I guess the placement is somewhat arbitrary, though. -- Paul

OP
Hookem

Hookem

Well I ran PCmark for a couple of hours and checked my hard drive to find a hot spot on it and could not find any place that was even warm. So I mounted the temp probe on my video card right behind the GPU...48C...hard drive never got over 31C...Couple hours of 3Dmark and the GPU got up to 51C so I guess I will leave it there...Dang fan infront of the HD must really work or the Maxtor's run really cool. Thanks for the reply :D

lazerin

You will find that the hottest accessible section on the hard drive is the underside, where all the cicuitry is. I would recommend sticking the thermal probe some where on the underside, but make sure you dont use conductive material as adhesive for the probe!! :D

David

Forums Super Moderator
The main sources of heat on the hard drive are:

a) the motor turning the platters
b) the circuitry on the underside.

AFAIK there is a smallish processor integrated into the drive, which will probably be the warmest part of the drive.

I got myself a Seagate Hard Disk, w/ S.M.A.R.T. temp monitoring :)

David

macklin01

I've read a few articles lately that state that while the heat is indeed generated as you both say, the head is then convected to the sides of the drive.

I saw this in two contexts. One was one of those articles that was on the main page and is right here. (Scroll down to PERCHE' DISSIPAZIONE LATERALE? . . . , which talks about lateral heat dissipation. You can cut 'n' paste the text into babelfish and translate from Italian.) The other was in the context of silent PC's, which stated that when a drive is suspended, it tends to run hotter, which they attribute to the sides of the drive no longer being attached to the case frame, thereby cutting down on heat condution from the sides of the drive. That article can be found here.

-- Paul

Last edited:
OP
Hookem

Hookem

Thanks for the links Macklin, the one from Italy is way out there. Man that is all I need is to get the watercooling bug. The other article was very informative also. I guess this setup I am running is pretty good considering the hard drive never gets above 32C. I still cant get over the water cooling set up. Talk about bad to the bone. Maybe on my next box which will be soon. Thanks again guys...:burn:

macklin01

My pleasure!

Yeah, I would never bring water near my hdd!!! I thought the fact that these two independent sources came to the conclusion that the sides get the best heat transfer were interesting.

It's inspiring a few ideas for me, if I ever get the time .... -- Paul

OP
Hookem

Hookem

Yeah just the idea of bringing water or any other liquid coolant into the case of my box just seems insane, issues like condensation, leaks, these push on hoses and the likes just scares the hell out of me. But hey there are guys getting away with it and it is supposed to be the only way to fly for a serious overclocker. Still have not done much in the way of overclocking except raise the FSB on the box in my sig. to 149 or something like that. Raised my 3Dmark score up to 9800 but the temps went way up too. Also changed my memory from CAS 2.5 to CAS 2.0 and increased the DRAM burst length to 8. I mean all this stuff raised benchmark scores, but also increased my temps to near 50C under load. Overclocked my video card with the Rage3D utility and went over 10,000 but I could not really tell the difference playing SOFII, Hitman2, UT2002, or Mafia. LOL...funny thing when I change my memory setting, my roomate was playing SOFII and my box just started beeping, thought I was going to have a heart attack but, I just played it off as no big deal and changed it back. But I think the time has come to do my research unlock my processor and overclock this thing...Thanks again :)

Last edited: