• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whew that was close...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ssetre

So yeah I almost went to the light side... But the store I ordered from left me out in the cold on my Opteron....

So back to the darkside for me :).

P4 640 3.2ghz(I got an Intel Cup and Flashing Super Ball)
Abit AW8-Max(getting this seperately, so not been confirmed)
2GB Kit of Mushkin XP2-6400 5-3-3-8
Asus Extreme X1800XL 256MB(Downgraded because of R580 coming)
2x Seagate 250GB 7200.8 Sata Raid 1
X-Fi Platinum
Samsung 940B 19" LCD
OCZ Powerstream 520W
TT Big Typhoon
VF-700Cu 80MM case fan mod :)
LG 4167B
Sony Black Floppy Drive :cool:
TT Tsunami Dream Black with Window

What do you guys think? Is it a good reacceptance to the dark side?

Its being packed up and should be getting shipped tomorrow.

Last edited:

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Replace the mobo w/ the P5WD2 Premium if you have the cash, BY FAR the best LGA775 board. Will support the Pressler / Cedarmill if your interested. Everything else looks good :)

OP
S

Ssetre

Hmm... I dunno Asus has burnt me bad on my last two motherboards from them. Never have nothing buck luck with my Abits.

But I will look into it thats for sure. Thanks for the advice.

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
Ssetre said:
Hmm... I dunno Asus has burnt me bad on my last two motherboards from them. Never have nothing buck luck with my Abits.

But I will look into it thats for sure. Thanks for the advice.

Don't know if you have ordered yet ... but i like the asus p5wd2-p and the p5ld2.

I went with the first p5ld2 to try it out for my 830's ... liked it better for folding than the p5wd2 and was cheaper so i bought another for my other 830.
Best folding producers i have! Both ld2/830's oc'ed to 3.9 on air (sonic towers).
Big typhoon ok but sonic tower better with 2 fans ... middle one dropped down to blow on NB. Possible to remove a sonic tower while in case too ... impossible with big typhoon. Crappy screws tho that i replace.
And for serious oc, you will need to replace the big typhoon's fan with something better.

edit ... my first p5wd2-p did have a prob with mem ... would only run single stick ... got a quick replacement for the store and no probs since. the others (p5wd2 non prem) and 2 p5ld2's have had no problems.

also, got a 551 on ebay for about 210 us shipped, and 2 830's there for under $200.
If yu are patient (as I am when adding to my folding farm for cheap) there are good buys to be had ... although i have seen some bid past retail!! Best to get auctions ending at odd times (not weekends).

Last edited:

ronaldo

This is not a religion, is just a pc with one or another cpu. I dont see a reason to look at this like at religion.

Thats why then happen that some people become soo ignorant, to tell that his cpu company are better. (bs pr stuff)

Buy what is better for what you do....

You will not marry a cpu. (i hope soo :santa: )

This is just my opinion.

OP
S

Ssetre

LoL...

The guys I work with call Intel the dark side. They all bleed green... They technically are right...

Intel: Large and Powerful Empire ~ Dark Side
AMD: Small guerilla faction lead by drunken idiot monkies ~ Light Side

Well I was looking for the tower but I was kind of limited and I needed a cooler that would let air blow over ther quiet-otes setup. I also have a better fan for the typhoon for benchmarking.

I also bought this entire machine new :). My first one thats all broke in by me.

I got my AW8-Max all sinked up properly. I removed all the rubber interface material and put some good Shin Etsu in there. I took 8 Zalman blue ram sinks and hit all the open chips(gigalan's, sata, firewire) and groups of unsinked fets I could.

I think this board should do me good.

fAlCoNNiAn

Nasgul said:
BTW, in some forums they don't call it IHS, they call it a different name which is hilarious because "they" think the I stands for Intel, anyway: IHS = integrated heat spreader.

nice
hehehm.gif
, got a kick out of that one.