• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 12GB (3 x 4GB) for OC'd i7 930?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michaels-musing

Which 12GB (3 x 4GB) for OC'd i7 980?

Hello Overclockers,

I'm in the process of building out a new i7 980x system, and I'm stuck on what RAM to buy :( It's been awhile since I've built one from scratch.

The machine will be used pretty much 24x7 for stock analysis and back testing. AmiBroker, TradeStation, TickZOOM, etc., will basically keep all cores near 100% while an optimization is running, which can take days. It's highly doubtful a game will ever be installed on this box. (But I threw in an okay? vid card, just in case.)

I want to air OC it to ~4GHz.

These are the three RAM choices I found on Newegg. If there won't be any OC difference or it won't slow down back testing, I'd like the cheaper OCZ ;)

Now (stats of both in lower post) :
~$500 G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II 12GB (3 x 4GB)
~$450 G.SKILL Ripjaws

Was:
$300 OCZ Reaper Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$400 Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$460 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Rest of system :

i7-980x
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
CORSAIR Hydro H70
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-60GBP2 2.5" 60GB SATA II (SSD)
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W
HIS H575FN1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Here's the Newegg wishlist
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?Source=MSWD&WishListNumber=15263346

Any and all thoughts (or sanity checks) on the other components are highly welcome as well.

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited:
The machine will be used pretty much 24x7 for stock analysis and back testing. AmiBroker, TradeStation, TickZOOM, etc., will basically keep all cores near 100% while an optimization is running, which can take days. It's highly doubtful a game will ever be installed on this box. (But I threw in an okay? vid card, just in case.)

He doesn't need a better GPU.

And for RAM, the Ripjaws are very good, but DDR3-1600 will handle the overclock much better (as you can downclock it back to stock speed at 4Ghz).

Therefore, Ripjaws @ 1600 MHz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231358 :D

Last edited:
Hey BigTerminator,

np on the vid card ;)

After doing some number crunching (cost, per needs, per return on value), I upgraded the system a bit since this initial post.

+ 980x
+ CORSAIR Hydro H70
(if it ever gets release.. Although I wish I had the time for a car radiator! Got friends with those laying about...)

Which brings me back to memory, is lower timing better or lower voltage?

Knufire, while exploring the Ripjaws, I found the difference between your Ripjaws and a Trident+ to be ~$50. I have no problems spending an extra $50 if it makes life easier...

G.SKILL Ripjaws
Timing 9-9-9-24
Voltage 1.5V

The Trident+ has
Timing 7-8-7-24
Voltage 1.65V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231381

Will the Trident+ make life easier?

# # #
Big,

Is there a vid card for another $50 that kicks butt? (on the off chance a nephew, or whatnot, comes by?)

Thanks All,
Michael

That's actually a decently hard question.
The more voltage you have = more stability. So, you could up the 1.5v Ripjaws and tighten the timings. On the other hand, the Trident already has the tightened timings. In real-world performance, I don't think any of this has a real impact. On overclocking, it might. Overclocking a CPU overclocks the ram, and you need both to be stable. I would go with the Ripjaws, as you might need to bump the voltage, and going over 1.65 on your ram sets off all sorts of warnings. Plus you save $50.

For the video card, a 5570 is a decent card that's slightly more expensive. It's essentially a higher clocked 5750. If your willing to spend $60 more, there are several video cards that are $199.99, mainly the Radeon 5830 and the GTX460.

The GTX460 kicks butt. One of the best price/performance gaming card out right now. Thought that's mostly said about the 1GB version, which is $230. There's a 768MB version with a smaller memory bus, so I don't know how that performs compared to the 5830 or 5770. But that's getting into some mid-high end gaming cards. A 5770 should run most modern games, just might have to turn off some of the eye candy.

After looking at the Newegg list, here's a couple more things:
1. You probably don't need a 1000w PSU for this. I'd get a lower high quality (read: Corsiar) PSU. I have no idea/probably am pretty bad at guessing needed wattage, but I'd say a TX 650 should be close, a TX750 should be safe. Might want a second opinion on what wattage
2. OCZ and Intel are by far the most popular drives, and they seem to work well. I would go with the Vertex 2, but I don't know how good the G.SKILL drives are. Their RAM is amazing though

You might want to update the list, just so we can all see the real price.

Hi Knufire,

First, thank you for all your help on this thread and the one in General Hardware (Updating there late today).

I updated the build list (and moved excess components to a diff wish list). As of now $2,827 ($2,857-$30*)

I did stick with the COOLER MASTER, as the CORSAIR PSUs (in that price range) have issues with DOA and ASUS MBs. Per Egg comments, and it's in the 100's so it doesn't seem to be a random spoiled brat pitching a fit....

And I was going to take your advise and also drop it down to 750W. The original build was to have 8 drives (oh how capacities have changed!), 2x RAID-2, 6x RAID-5. But for the extra ~$90 I never have to worry about adding a RAIDs or custom built water.

On the SSD, I asked over in the Storage forum, and in the meantime Newegg dropped the price of the G.SKILL another $20, so I'll have to take G.SKill's rep with memory ( and the extra $20 :) )

Which leaves the video card question....

The $140 HIS HD 5750 1GB is now out of stock, hmmm, did they read this thread???? So, any difference between these?

$230 GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB
$200 MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5830 1GB

Should I spend the extra $30? Or save the $60-90 and just find another 5750 in the $140 range?

I'll probably press the button tomorrow...

So many choices...,
Michael

*The H50 is now $30 off bundled w/ 980x.

Last edited:
Back