• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which? 2 Systems Or Dual Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paupton

OK now. Some of you experienced guys respond to this.
I am wondering which way to go. I have all the supplies to build two systems, or go with dual cpu and two monitors. I even bought a gforce3 on ebay so I am set for either way.
I know it would be crowded on my desk but I was going with a dual monitor system anyway. I wonder how many of you have tried both ways. What would you recommend.
I have XP1700 and XP2000. I have two 512 pc2100 sticks. I have two 19" new monitors. 3 Hdd's, and two of everything else, cases, mobo MSI k7tpro266 ru. 4PSU's. I even have two broadbands at my desk. One is dsl other is cable.
Will I get tired of two systems and will I even use them.
Or ..... is it better to put all this in one case?
Any replys would be appreciated.
paupton

nuclearmonkey

Registered
intersting question...

I would say, build one dream machine (although, by the looks of the hardware, even the 2 seperate PCs would be pretty nice). I would sell the extra hardware that you don't need, mabey try for a SCSI RAID array or something like that. But, it really depends on what you would be doing, sometimes 2 computers really can be handy...but more than that, once sweet dually can be even better.

Joker76

Unless your gonna be doing video editing or very intensive 3d modeling/rendering, I don't think you really need an Athlon 1700/2000 dually. Because if your not, I think most of the processor cycles and RAM would go unused in a dually like this. I personally would build 2 computers, so if something happens to one, you have another. Also, this way you can set up one as a gaming computer and another as a file server or maybe a gaming server. It really depends on what you use your computer for.

It sounds to me like your a gamer, so here's what I would do:

Gaming rig:
Athlon 2000+
512 MB DDR
GeForce 3
1 Hdd (size?)

Then use whatever you have left to build yourself a nice backup computer or server. That's what I would do.

Gandalf

Joker76 said:
Then use whatever you have left to build yourself a nice backup computer or server. That's what I would do.

SERVER!

Perfect Idea, especially if you put the server on your DSL/CABLE line and your gamin rig on the other!

That's what I would do.

OP
P

paupton

Thanks for the reply guys. I especially like the part about having a backup computer. I dont know why but i seem to always have my computer down for something.....hehehe mabe it's OC'ing. I think I will do the two systems and try that out. I will post later to let you know how it goes.
thanks again
allan