• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Asus mobo is best for Overclocking an AMD 2800+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
why audigy ??

I have to weigh in here and say why buy the soundblaster audigy ?? the built in sound on the nforce 2 should be awesome, and you would save the 100 bucks the audigy costs.

nvidia has spent ALOT of time and research into optimizing networking and audio streams, and in my opinion it would be a waste to buy any nforce board and not use the integrated sound and networking capability.

i have been doing alot of research, and am going to build an nforce2 system, and having been a soundblaster fan for many years, i am parting ways with them. the nforce can decode many audio streams with almost zero processor utilization, the audigy cannot do that.

a notebook :rolleyes:
ohhhh, nforce2, *drooool*
I'm gonna upgrade soon from my pos a7v133 to either a abit kd7, max2 or asus a7n8x depending on how much $$$ i'll have @ the time(I'll sell my a7v1333 for $100:D).
Watercooling would probably be your best bet for overclocking a chip like that, you want to take advantage of all those nice voltage settings and locks on the a7n8x.

00110111 said:
also, I was wondering if two 40 GB (or more) 7200 RPM hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration would up the performace?
Thanks!

It will increase your performance with operations with large files, but smaller files, common in everyday use, see much less benefit.

Also, you mentioned your intention of dual booting with Linux. Unless your RAID card is true hardware RAID (which is more expensive), Linux probably won't support it. The Promise cards, in particular, do not have very support support. Check your distro's hardware compatabity database (most have them at their websites) if you want to use RAID, and make sure you pick a card thats compatable. Most onboard RAID chips are software RAID, and do not work properly with Linux.

00110111 said:
Thanks ALOT for all of your help, now for the even tougher task, getting permission from my parents to build is. I let you know how it turns out if they do let me. Thanks again for all of your help.

Heck, I would show the folks one of those high priced falcon or alien systems ads in the back of any of the computer rags and tell 'em you can build this very same system for about 1700 dollars less!!:D

but mom,!dad!............. you know how it goes..:p .........tr

Back