• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which came first, the rad or the pump??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
I’m getting ready to put together my system, and I was wondering how I should hook it up. Is it best to go pump, rad, cpu or rad, pump, cpu?? Thanks.

gaccm

Registered
by having the rad right before the cpu, the cpu gets the coldest possible water.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
I am making an almost clone setup to Hoots H20 setup......I just cant seem to make a Shroud like he has.....Ive been trying to use Plexiglass for two days...... (got a pile of Plexiglass now in bits and pieces) ...I think it would be much easier for me to find where Hoot lives and Take his and leave a $50 and head back to my house as fast as I could run. :beer:

Ps if you look Hoot has 'Rad' before the CPU like you mentioned :)

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
cyber mouse45 said:
I’m getting ready to put together my system, and I was wondering how I should hook it up. Is it best to go pump, rad, cpu or rad, pump, cpu?? Thanks.

To address your actual queation is better to have the pump before all the other system components. This is because a fluid energy to flow (this one is reflected in pressure). If you have low energy in the fluid (low pressure) the flow will be lower. This can cause that not enough fluid comes to the pump and create a vaccumm.

If you have ever heard a pump cavitate you know what I mean. If not imagine this: if not enough fluid comes into the pump camber, then the pressure in the eye of the pump (suction) will decrease up to a point where it equal the vapor pressure of the fluid. At that point small bubbles will begin the appear. As this small bubles try to remain together they become like pellets, and will hit the impellers of the pump. As time pases this phenomena will damage the impeller causing pump failure.

neo86

I think with a strong enough pump there shouldn't be a problem with a pump-rad-cpu setup. I'm going to try it to see if it makes a difference. I'm getting sh*tty temps so it's no trouble at all.

Currently:

43*C Load
27*C Idle

I have a DD Maze2,Super Cube,Eheim 1250, Rad. Shack 3000 RPM 48*dB Fan 89 CFM Fan.

Processor: Duron [email protected] (150*6.5)

*UPDATE*
I tried putting the rad first and here are the results:

44*C Load
29*C Idle

P.S My system is in-line. So I guess it doesn't make a diff. That one degree could be caused by anything such as a high case temp...(although it did read 23*C for case temp at both times).

Last edited:

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
Well with an inline pump there shouldn't be no difference. I assumed that the setup question involved a reservoise. With a reservoise it is always prefereable to have the pump right after the reservoise: reservoise->pump->radiator->waterblock->reservoise.

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Mictlan said:
Well with an inline pump there shouldn't be no difference. I assumed that the setup question involved a reservoise. With a reservoise it is always prefereable to have the pump right after the reservoise: reservoise->pump->radiator->waterblock->reservoise.

Well, that leads me to my next question. Should I have a reservoir? If so, how big should it be?

Btw, whats this The Lord of the Dead Rank thing? Thats really cool. How do you get to be that?