• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

I can get the Chenbro Gaming Bomb from microcenter for $50.
Or get the Cheiftech here for 57 after shipping. Which is a better buy. Ive heard the chenbro is a really good tooless case. But then i would have to buy all new 120mm fans to get the best cooling. What should i do? I really want as close to a silent computer as possible. Also, does 1 120mm fan cool as well as 2 80mm fans?

Last edited:

Enyo

one 120mm will be quiter then two 80mm fans and will probably cool slightly better due to the more efficent use of space but theres not much difference.

if you want silent go with water :D

im getting 44c with a passive wc system (at full load and over clocked (2600barton)

Syndicate

Agent_Mull said:
I can get the Chenbro Gaming Bomb from microcenter for $50.
Or get the Cheiftech here for 57 after shipping. Which is a better buy. Ive heard the chenbro is a really good tooless case. But then i would have to buy all new 120mm fans to get the best cooling. What should i do? I really want as close to a silent computer as possible. Also, does 1 120mm fan cool as well as 2 80mm fans?

Personally I would go with the chieftech , The internals in design between those 2 companys is fairly similar , with the chieftech having a little more space ( and doesnt look like something a 2nd grader would have for a computer heh ) Alough by design it would appear the chenbro would be better at conceling sounds. ( sucks when there is always a win lose situation
:) )

As for the fans as you already know a 120mm tends to have less db than 2 80's alough this really all depends on quality of the fan and its bearings if it has any. Alot of people will probably suggest pabst or for a little less a vantec stealth alough this is a outsourced fan by another company so i am not exactly sure who makes the fan for vantec. Anyways in almost all cases anyways you would want to stick with a 120mm for a front port fan over anything else.

all in all though it will depend with your setup not the actual fans you use. ( unless its the fans that come with the case then you might have a problem :) )

-brian

OP
Agent_Mull

Agent_Mull

But does the chieftec have that bolt action pci lock? I thought that was nifty and does it have the hd rails?
I tihnk i might get the chenbro and order some panaflo 120mms off coolerguys.com or something.

Enyo

note that the chenbro has a removeable hd rack but the hd's are screwed in most likely due to vibration,

the chenbro is indeed very very good at canceling out noise i used to use a 200cfm 120mm delta (60db) and that was cut down to .. sane loudness (eg i still have my hearing!)

Syndicate

Enyo said:
note that the chenbro has a removeable hd rack but the hd's are screwed in most likely due to vibration,

the chenbro is indeed very very good at canceling out noise i used to use a 200cfm 120mm delta (60db) and that was cut down to .. sane loudness (eg i still have my hearing!)

ya but you are a bear its covered with furriness :/

Hookem

I had a GameBomb...She be gone...Still have my old reliable Antec/Chieftech.

Pretty cool looking case...Has a few draw backs...Like when you install the rails into a drive they are really hard to get out without breaking.

And I was not really impressed by the cooling...If you are going by looks then get the Chenbro...If you want rock solid and better cooling go with the Cheiftech.

Man that is dirt cheap...Just might have to order a couple at that price.

Enyo

heh i have an antec psu in a chenbro case ^_^

in cooling terms the chenbro (at least with a proper 120mm fan on the back) has been unbeatable. the fan is perfectly located and even a slow rpm fan can be quiet and efficent, out of my 3 rigs the chenbro is the quiestest and coolest even wtih a 2000xp over clocked to 2600 (2.2ghz) and volted up to 1.8v i get a constant 40-44c full load (24/7 due to folding)

the chenbro easly beats my lian li on quietness and cooling, though admitedly the lian li looks sexyer ^_^

Hookem

Well my experience with the Chenbro with a 120m/m Enermax adjustable fan in the rear and a 92m/m Enermax adjustable fan up front is different than Enyo's

My Antec 1080 with L1A Panflos cools way better...The Chenbro is a nice case...I like the filter up front...I hate the snap in motherboard clips...The drive rails are a nightmare to get out of your drives...The tooless retainers for the PCI cards do not hold them very securely...Which is no big deal...But I really do not like my Video Card flopping in the breeze....

It has looks over the Antec...But in my humble opinion...That is about it.