• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which chip worth OC'ing? Q6600 or E6400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

I have both and I am debating on which one to OC. I am getting a board that supports up to 1666mhz fsb. I plan on purchasing 2.1v 1066mhz OCZ memory.

I am going to use an aftermarket air cooler.

I just want to know which one seems like the better idea. I am leaning towards Q6600, but want to make sure as I will only have 1 overclockable motherboard and the other chip will go in my current Dell setup.

Thanks!

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I would say go with the Q6600. I have one running at 3.2 at stock voltage, and it feels like I have plenty left to go. I'm still waiting for the rest of my water cooling parts before I push it any farther. They overclock very easily.

Lavacon

The Q6600 is a great chip with lots of headroom.

On the other hand, if that E6400 is a wolfdale, it will overclock like a champ too.

ShaneMac

Registered
I'm very new to this overclocking buisness and i've got my q6600 running "pretty" stable at 3.0ghz and thats with the stock cooler that came with it. That was with only 2x1gig ocz ram. I've had to drop it back to 2.925ghz since i went up to 4x1gig ram, with the ram at 800mhz, but thats to be expected running 4 slots rather than just 2.

As i said, thats with the measly stock cooler. I have a zalman 9500 on the way and am hoping to get closer to 3.2ghz with that. With water cooler (as stated above) you can expect much more.

Make sure to get a G0 stepping if you can. Supposedly they work better than other batches.

Brutal-Force

Hrmm... Dual core.... Quad core....the Quadcore is a Classic Overclocker.....

No Brainer. Q6600 it is.

MIAHALLEN

If he's on an nVidia chipset I'd go with the dual core, but otherwise I'd agree ;)

Bobnova

To answer the question posed by the subject:
All chips are worth OCing.