• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which D5 speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HirscherM

Registered
I have a xspc d5 vario pump, which speed will give me optimum performance and sound, or is there hardly any performance difference between min and max?
I have one gpu block, one cpu block, 560 rad, 500ml resorvoir, and around 1.5m of tubing. The settings are 1 through 5.
Thanks, Marcel

For a loop like yours, I think its safe to say anywhere around 3 or 4 should suffice. If you're not seeing too much movement, I would test out 5.

For a loop like yours, I think its safe to say anywhere around 3 or 4 should suffice. If you're not seeing too much movement, I would test out 5.

Too much movement? And i've tried 5 but that is too loud, ill try 3 like you said. Is there really much difference of temperature between the settings? I'm under the impression that its flowing so quick anyway that the heat is dispersered evenly throughout the loop.

with mine cpu only, 2-2.5 will do.
gpu/cpu 3.5-4 is needed with my titan, this gives me a pump speed between 3000-3500.

For an efficient running loop, you want to be in the range of 1.0-1.5 GPM. You'll just have to go by the eyes on this one since no flow sensor is used nor is one needed really.

I run it on 3. This is with 2 rads and 2 blocks. That gives me just over 1.5GPM flow in my loop. I wouldn't turn it up past 3/4 honestly. Its only going to dump more heat (woo ~10W) into the loop for no reason. :)

I run everything maxed out because it isn't like it makes more noise.
On 5 my d5 makes quite a loud hum.... way louder than 1 which is almost silent.

- - - Updated - - -

I run it on 3. This is with 2 rads and 2 blocks. That gives me just over 1.5GPM flow in my loop. I wouldn't turn it up past 3/4 honestly. Its only going to dump more heat (woo ~10W) into the loop for no reason. :)

Thanks yeh imma try it on 3

For an efficient running loop, you want to be in the range of 1.0-1.5 GPM. You'll just have to go by the eyes on this one since no flow sensor is used nor is one needed really.

Thanks, also why so many radiators in your setup?

Thanks, also why so many radiators in your setup?

Overkill's my middle name. :eek: J/k..... :D

I chose to go all out because I caught the "bug" and since I have a massive case, I was able to run my fans very silent. I pretty much gave 120.3 of rad per chip which leaves me with lots of room while keeping things silent with a pretty good CPU OC. I originally had a smaller case (800D) with only the 120.3 rad. I then purchased a much bigger case (900D) years later and purchased the 120.4 and 120.2 just to fill in the spots since I felt it wasn't complete. I think that's where the saying goes "Water Bug" comes from.

In the end, from the time I started this, I've gone through 3-4 changes. I pretty much went all out but being patient about it and planning ahead I knew I'd have the dream rig some day that I have now. I can't say how thankful I'm to have gone this far. I should say some luck did play a bit of a role as well. Winning a MB and Ram in a promotion surely lets me use the funds in other areas of the loop.

Last edited:
I have a xspc d5 vario pump, which speed will give me optimum performance and sound, or is there hardly any performance difference between min and max?
I have one gpu block, one cpu block, 560 rad, 500ml resorvoir, and around 1.5m of tubing. The settings are 1 through 5.
Thanks, Marcel

Actually it's best to test that for yourself and find out which pump speed yields the best temperatures, flow rate vs time in the water blocks and radiators is different for every hardware combination and you control that flow rate with the pump speed, so just test yourself and find out what works best for your setup.

I run both of mine on 5 as I don't have a traditional setup anyway because pump noise is irrelevant to me, is that overkill, Yes!, but it works for me.

I tried max (5) on my D5 and man was that thing wailing! Because I have the Dualbay res, the vibration was quite loud. I'm @ medium (3) and it's perfect. No noise/vibration and I have excellent flowrate for my system.

As others have mentioned: you'll have to see what works best for your system. Find a happy medium between noise & flowrate.

I ran on 3. You adjust. Start on 5, then decrease slowly till you get a nice noise/temp balance. The D5 is really quiet unless you have the PC on the table next to your face. Bad place for a PC. Don't understand, back in 2008 it worked the same way. You tinker and set it and forget it.

i've had mine on 3 since i put it in years ago. been like that ever since.. 3 is kind of the sweet spot for low noise and good performance, granted i've only ever had a cpu in my loops but even with a black ice gtx rad it still performed fine.

Back