• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Geforce 4 Ti 4200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FrankMasterFlash

Alright...Im going to be getting a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 but not sure what brand to choose. Which one out of these would be best or any opinions on these cards.

Chaintech Geforce4 4200 "GT21" Special Edition VIVO - $184.00
VGA EVGA|GF4 TI4200 128M with VIVO/TV out RETAIL BOX. -$185.00
GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 4ns, 128MB DDR, Power Pack Golden Sample - $199.00
VGA LEADTEK|GF4 TI4200 64M /TV Retail Box - $???.??<--Interested in the 128MB version which I cant find
MSI G4Ti4200-TD (8870-040) GF4 TI4200 128MB 128bit TV-OUT DVI VGA Card Retail - $178.00
VISIONTEK Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4200 ( 128MB ) (GeForce4 Ti 4400 Graphics Chipset) - $226.00

Well...just wondering which one would be best...I like the Gainward for the 3.5ns Ram but i really honestly dislike the Red PCB color. I was looking towards the Leadtek cause it had a fairly nice sized HSF on it.

I am currently not planning on O/C the card cause anything will be faster than the Matrox Millenium G200 so i kinda want the card to last. So which will be best in your opinion...TIA:D

EDIT: Or does anyone know when the S/U/M/A Platinum GeForce 4 Ti 4200SE-P will be in the United States and where can I get it?

Last edited:
how about adding this to the list.
oh wait i dunno where and how much these are though.
i guess since you are not ocing you are looking for functionality and extras?

edit: sorry shoulda answered your question, umm personally i'd get the gainward just because of the 3.5ns chips but since you don't like the red pcb, the leadtek should be a good choice.
sorry if i didn't help any

phantom punisher said:
the 3.5 arnt overclocking well though so theres no bonus there

Err... yes they are. Check my score out, I got to 270/560 without even trying. One of these days I'll actually sit down and push the card as far as it'll go, but for a simple clock speed change that took me 5 minutes, 10,000 3DMarks ain't bad. =P

Of all those, I'd say go with the Gainward Ti4200 64MB. Not only is it the cheapest of all ($158 SHIPPED from Newegg), but it'll overclock the best because the RAM is rated higher than the 4ns standard.

You could go with the 128, but at this point in time, there isn't anything that's going to really use all that RAM. I play Jedi Knight II at 1280 x 1024 (because that's the highest my monitor supports), all settings up to the max, and still get 90-100 FPS consistantly. Save the $40 and get yourself a SB Live! 5.1 or something. =)

About the Gainward cards, you may want to check out this post.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91033

DaveB purchased a Prolink PixelView Ti4200 which memory is rated slower then the Gainward and he is able to hit "300/600 right out of the box" which is much faster then what the Gainwards have been able to hit.

So the fast rated memory is OK but there is others that appear to be better. Read that post all the way through and it should give you some better basis.

Tracert said:
About the Gainward cards, you may want to check out this post.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91033

DaveB purchased a Prolink PixelView Ti4200 which memory is rated slower then the Gainward and he is able to hit "300/600 right out of the box" which is much faster then what the Gainwards have been able to hit.

So the fast rated memory is OK but there is others that appear to be better. Read that post all the way through and it should give you some better basis.

Nah, that's just an isolated incident. You think EVERY SINGLE AYHJA-Y can reach 2 GHz? Not a chance, even though it's already an elite stepping, there are some that are even better.

It's just luck that he ended up with such a great card, and I congratulate him, that's awesome. But it's not a whole series of cards which are OCing like that, just his single card, maybe a few others.

I honestly have no idea how 2 cards, manufactured identically, on the same day, with the exact same components, one could OC better than the other. Maybe it has to do with the molecule alignment in the PCB or something. Whatever it is, there are duds of all brands/models, and there are superstars of all brands/models.

Über~PhLuBB said:

Err... yes they are.

theres nothing wrong with your overclock but the 4 ns cards are doing as good if not better. that denounces the bonus of a 3.5 ns card like i said. ive had no problems with mine and benchmarking at 300/600. thats 4ns ddr at default voltage and default cooling

phantom punisher said:

theres nothing wrong with your overclock but the 4 ns cards are doing as good if not better. that denounces the bonus of a 3.5 ns card like i said. ive had no problems with mine and benchmarking at 300/600. thats 4ns ddr at default voltage and default cooling
I think the issue is the cooling on the gainward cards. With better then stock cooling, I believe you can get alot more out of these bad boys.

Über~PhLuBB said:

Err... yes they are. Check my score out, I got to 270/560 without even trying. One of these days I'll actually sit down and push the card as far as it'll go, but for a simple clock speed change that took me 5 minutes, 10,000 3DMarks ain't bad. =P

Of all those, I'd say go with the Gainward Ti4200 64MB. Not only is it the cheapest of all ($158 SHIPPED from Newegg), but it'll overclock the best because the RAM is rated higher than the 4ns standard.

You could go with the 128, but at this point in time, there isn't anything that's going to really use all that RAM. I play Jedi Knight II at 1280 x 1024 (because that's the highest my monitor supports), all settings up to the max, and still get 90-100 FPS consistantly. Save the $40 and get yourself a SB Live! 5.1 or something. =)

How did you get yours so high? Check my score and compare here

rUfUnKy said:
I think the issue is the cooling on the gainward cards. With better then stock cooling, I believe you can get alot more out of these bad boys.

niether the gainward or most 4ns cards have any memory cooling. but the gainwards arnt comparing well. to think that ramsinking these cards will pull the 3.5 ns cards from the rear to the lead is kind of a stretch, id think. as for gpu cooling your probly right as all the g4 ti have the exact same gpu and they all should perform the same on a even ground

KaHNZa said:

How did you get yours so high? Check my score and compare here

The secret is in AGP Fastwrites. I left the option off in BIOS when I first installed the card, because I had read they have problems with it, and I got ~7400 3D Marks. When I turned it on, boom, 10,000+.

Über~PhLuBB said:

The secret is in AGP Fastwrites. I left the option off in BIOS when I first installed the card, because I had read they have problems with it, and I got ~7400 3D Marks. When I turned it on, boom, 10,000+.

I checked in my bios and fastwrites are on. I got my card overclocked to 290/560. My highest so far is 8234. I want more!! :D

KaHNZa said:

I checked in my bios and fastwrites are on. I got my card overclocked to 290/560. My highest so far is 8234. I want more!! :D

Then the difference has got to be our mobos and CPU. The mobo is unspecified in your score, so I would assume it's an off-brand, one that 3DM can't detect properly. And the CPU is an Athlon, not an Athlon XP. That's the difference, it's nothing to worry about. =)

I'm wondering how you managed to out-score me in 6 catagories with an inferior (no offense) CPU, both CPU type and CPU speed. I'll have to look into that one. =)

Über~PhLuBB said:

Then the difference has got to be our mobos and CPU. The mobo is unspecified in your score, so I would assume it's an off-brand, one that 3DM can't detect properly. And the CPU is an Athlon, not an Athlon XP. That's the difference, it's nothing to worry about. =)

I'm wondering how you managed to out-score me in 6 catagories with an inferior (no offense) CPU, both CPU type and CPU speed. I'll have to look into that one. =)

Its not an off brand. Its an Iwill KK266. ;) Yeah I thought it strange too that I beat you in some catergories. I stomped ya in fill rate. Ok maybe not stomped, but I scored above you by a fair amount.

EDIT: I looked at the scores again. Yes I did stomp you in fill rate. :D

Well...I edited the the list.

I have decided to go with a 128MB version cause this card has got to last for a long time and I honestly shouldnt be o/c this card all that much...maybe just to match the 64MB speed(500Mhz).

But I haven't decided which card to get so I was thinking the Chaintech GT21 golden sample was looking good....or if anyone can find the Leadtek 128MB version. Is Chaintech any good?

Is it at all possible to get the S/U/M/A Ti 4200SE-P in the United States or does it have to be internationally shipped...will it ever be in the US anytime soon?

Anymore opinions?
TIA!!:D

Last edited:
omg WOW, after readaing in this thread and looking up info on the SUMA GF4 Ti4200 I know what I'm getting!! of course the special ordering will be a *****.. but it'll be worth it!

Also I've seen some reviews on the GF4 Ti 4200 and I've seen a few 64Meg boards out perform the 128Meg siblings.. is this common??

Also I've seen some reviews on the GF4 Ti 4200 and I've seen a few 64Meg boards out perform the 128Meg siblings.. is this common?? [/B]

in stock form the 64 mg are at 500mhz and the 128 are at 444mhz. thats where they beat them. when run at the same speed(overclocked) there is no difference.

Back