• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which GF3 to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berg

Question for you. Elsa has dropped their price to the same as the VisionTek's. Herc's card is still a 30 bucks more but my question is: Elsa has the 3.8 ns, released 2 weeks later then the others, but always had improved on Nvidia's Ref Boards. VisionTek also has the 3.8 ns DDR, 1st to ship, but a cheesy fan. Or the last is Herc's w/o the 3.8 ns(4.0) but the killer Blue Orb fan already installed. I know the DDR difference makes a gap in overclocking. I saw people at x-bit labs overclock the VisionTek to 240/540 because of the DDR but without stock cooling. Where to turn? Just wanted an unbiased opinion of which to invest into.

If plan to overclock maybe the hercules.
Since it already has a modified blue orb.
Or buy the visiontek and add a blue orb.
I dont think you will go wrong with any of the 3 boards you list.

Berg (May 01, 2001 11:05 p.m.):
Question for you. Elsa has dropped their price to the same as the VisionTek's. Herc's card is still a 30 bucks more but my question is: Elsa has the 3.8 ns, released 2 weeks later then the others, but always had improved on Nvidia's Ref Boards. VisionTek also has the 3.8 ns DDR, 1st to ship, but a cheesy fan. Or the last is Herc's w/o the 3.8 ns(4.0) but the killer Blue Orb fan already installed. I know the DDR difference makes a gap in overclocking. I saw people at x-bit labs overclock the VisionTek to 240/540 because of the DDR but without stock cooling. Where to turn? Just wanted an unbiased opinion of which to invest into.

always go hercules and sand down the bottom of the factory orb on it :) youll get great performance

I say Hercules, all my friends have had good luck with them, they are good at overclocking and reliable. My friend has his Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS overclocked by I don't know how much but his AMD Athlon thunderbird 1ghz
chip is overclocked to 1.33ghz but I don't know what the multiplier settings are.

I'd say Hercules, but go with their 3D Prophet 4500 instead of their 3D Prophet III.

Visiontek, you can upgrade the fan easily, upgrading the memory is a bit more difficult. They're a pretty good name in my experience, and those .2 ns just might be the edge you want for Aquanox later. Hercules may be a good brand, but I'll go with the good brand that has better equipment.

Stolid

Back