• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which GTX 260 is better (which to keep)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fliptrip

Registered
Hi Guys, just getting my new rig ironed out.

I ordered a Gigabyte GTX 260 OC core 216 the other day but what I received today was an XFX 260 core edition card (not the black edition).

They seem to be the same price here in NZ. As far as I can tell the XF is an older model 192 series while the gigabyte is a 216 series.

So should I whinge and complain and send it back and request what I asked for or am I better off?

Very much appreciate your opinions.
Thanks

Daddyjaxx

I'd complain. You are losing one bank of 24 shaders, which could be about a 5%-20% hit in performance, and if I remember correctly, all of the older 260's are 65 nm and some of the newer ones 55nm, so the older one would run hotter as well if you would have gotten a 55nm.

Last edited:

Shadowmonk

I have both the XFX 55nm core 216's and a Gigabyte core 216 OC, honestly the gigabyte is the more formidable card from the OC standpoint, my XFX cards required a voltage jump to 1.18v to achieve the same clocks as the gigabyte. If they sent you an old 260 then yes id raise hell until i got what i ordered.

OP
F

fliptrip

Registered
An online retailer here in NZ.

oczone.co.nz

Thanks for the prompt reply guys, I'll send them an email right away.

Daddyjaxx

:shrug:

GTX260 with 192 cores PUMMLES a 4770...none the less a 216 core. I think you meant 4870. :thup:

Yes....I did. :)

"For those PCs equipped with a decent power supply, running a single GTX260 Core 216 is a good single-GPU alternative to AMD's Radeon HD 4890, 4870 and 4850 videocards."

OP
F

fliptrip

Registered
Update: Ah well seems I'm stuck with this card as there is no stock for the Gigabyte OC or even gigabyte Super OC here in NZ. Apparently Gigabyte has stopped making these cards? Seems weird though?

And yep zap, I checked the website, the Black edition is the one with 216 cores.

But this card still kicks some butt in resident evil 5, borderlands etc so I can't complain too much. Will tide me over for 6 months-a year.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I'd complain about getting anything but what I ordered unless they messed up and gave you something better then what you ordered.

One example was EVGA sending out OC editioned card in Vanilla Boxes.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
^ That would be a nice suprise.

Many people got it like this because there was a shortage in supply for the Vanilla GTX 285's so people where reporting getting OCed versions in the Vanilla boxes. Really it didn't matter to me much, too bad it wasn't a higher edition where it had certain volt mods done to it already.