• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which hard drive is the bang for the buck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dire

Registered
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the energetic replies on the video and sound card questions. I found them to be very helpful.

Now, onto the hard drive? I have choosen Western Digital WD1200JB(120GB). What do you all think about it? I am going to use my PC to play games like Neverwinter nights, Warcraft III etc and also use it for my home theater. I will have on-board RAID in my motherboard. So, which hard drive will give me solid performance?

Thanks,

-- dire

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

The WD 8Mb cache HD is the fastest out there now, but if you are going to use it in a RAID config, then I would suggest Maxtor D740X-6L ATA133, it would come in handy with RAID 0.

Actually this thread should be in General Hardware, you will get better replies there :beer:

HeXenViRii

Kato said:
The WD 8Mb cache HD is the fastest out there now, but if you are going to use it in a RAID config, then I would suggest Maxtor D740X-6L ATA133, it would come in handy with RAID 0.

Actually this thread should be in General Hardware, you will get better replies there :beer:

Would the WD se do poorly in a raid 0 ? i was thinking about getting 2 of those and doing a raid 0 w/ the onboard raid controller ....

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
I read in the forums the Maxtor are better in RAID config, because of the extra 33MHz ceiling. I tried to look for that thread, but failed. So I could be wrong though, sorry!:D