• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which hfs is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ntpphong

Swiftech MCX462+ or the Thermalright SLK-800?

i will prolly use the TT Smartfan 2 on them.

i'm sick of this volcano9

All the reviews I've seen place the 800 equal to or slightly better than the MCX462+. You probably won't go wrong with either. :cool:

I would say go with the SLK-800. I just picked one up last week and am going to be using the smart fan II as well.

rustymaitland said:
ask around here about the smart fan 2 and the slk-800. i heard it is not that effective of a combo.

really? How about the smart fan 2 and the ax7? I was going to go w/that combo...

the smart fan II and the ax-7 is what i was running. i took the smart fan off of the volcano 9 i had and slapped it on the ax-7. nice results and don't forget you can control that puppy 3 ways. i then went out and bought probably the noisiest fan out there (delta is on par with noise as well), the tornado. it has to do with the smart fan not providing a directional flow of air right to the cpu core. not a scientist and someone might be able to clarify this a whole lot better than myself but basically that is the jist of it.

rustymaitland said:
the smart fan II and the ax-7 is what i was running. i took the smart fan off of the volcano 9 i had and slapped it on the ax-7. nice results and don't forget you can control that puppy 3 ways. i then went out and bought probably the noisiest fan out there (delta is on par with noise as well), the tornado. it has to do with the smart fan not providing a directional flow of air right to the cpu core. not a scientist and someone might be able to clarify this a whole lot better than myself but basically that is the jist of it.

what temps were you getting? How 'bad' is the smart fan II?

I don't know. I really like the idea of having the idea of changing it from 74cfm to a low setting whenever I want.

i was going to add: "don't get me wrong"

really though, the smart fan is a good unit. try it, you might like it. it is not that quiet eh. it is no slouch sounding off at 48dba.

I don't like smart fans. The reason is that I don't like a local measurement controlling my case or cpu temps. If you note, I'm using a shorted smart fan as my HSF. I bought 2 and shorted them both to use them to get the max cfm. (Wasn't a smart buy.)

I rather have control of my case air flow (or allow the mobo to control my HSF) instead of letting a fan measure a very local temp to control its fuction. I also don't like hearing them cycle up and down. You can make your own decision related to noise. Related to cooling, it has been reported that the Tt II doesn't function well with the SLK800 but I have no personal experience nor have I seen an engineering study related to the subject (doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I'm not aware of it).

Frankly the fan is the lesser expense and can be replaced and used elsewhere in a system if you don't like it as a HSF.

I would select a 45 to 50 cfm relatively low noise fan that ran at a fixed speed. That is what I have on top of my 800. I run a max of 37C under load at my settings below.

You want more cooling pick a fan with more cfm. By the way, 48 dBA is loud. But this isn't about right or wrong fans, you need to decide if you want to heavily overclock or not and what type of noise you don't mind. They make lots of different fans cause lots of us folks like different setups. Enjoy!! :cool:

Last edited:
I've got the SLK-800 and the SMart Fan II. It gives good results of around 30 with the fan innaudible right now and around 27 with full blast. Keep in mind that those are idle temps (Winamp) and that my case is open (no side) and my room temps are colder than hell . . . It is reported that they do not work well together. The Tornado does offer better results than does the SFII, but keep in mind that most test results are subject to quite a lot of error, that the Tornado does put out more CFM, and that ultimately it is your own opinion and desires that really matter. If you've already got one (Volcano 9) goa head and use it. You can always replace it later. Either way, I don't have problems with mine. I love that it's adjustable. It is pretty loud, though. Also, try it blowing and sucking to see which way works best for you. With my case open, sucking works best. Closed, blowing works best . . . And the SLK-800 is one heavy mofo, proving to be an excellent heat sink, going above my expectations. (Don't drop it)

Z

Don't have an slk-800 but I have the mcx-462+ and like it alot. the slk-800 probably cools a bit better but on the other hand I prefer the mounting mechanism of the mcx-462+ (mounts on the mobo mounting holes).

as for the smart fan II I have not heard many good things mounting it on these heatsinks. I think it is supposed to be due to the way that it blows the air (it spreads it instead of focusing it straight?). I had intended on using the smart fan II on my HS but steered clear when i heard of the problems.

To me, it sounds sort of like a jet, but not so much of a scream as a "whine" as the above poster said. It does become more bearable as time goes by. If you're looking to overclock very high and you're needing good colling at all times, I'd go with water, 'cause this would be anoying if it were on ALL the time.

Z

which fan do you guys recommend i should go with then if not the TT2?, still undecided wether the swiftech or slk.
i can't afford aircooling, and it's little bit risky.

about the TT2, yes, i noticed that the air was spreaded instead of focusing, that's the thing i didnt not notice and knew when i bough fans.
any recommendations of the focusing fans? best noise-cfm ratio

Last edited:
Really sucks that delta's aren't adjustable. And I find it unreasonable to buy a rpm controller switch for the price of the fan itself.

I have a ax-7 coming in the mail soon. Maybe i'll buying a Tt smartfan2

just get a rheostat, and put it on a huge delta to crank it down. personally, i got the 80cfm (focused) 80mm delta and the TT fan controller from sidewindercomputers.com and did that. I'm sure it would work well on the SLK, too.

I honestly think that unless you're doing some wicked fast overclocking, that the smart fan will work fine for you. It isn't as good as the Delta, but as long as you know that and you know what your needs are, if the fan meets them, consider using it. The best option is, of course, to put the Delta on a rheostat, but it is expensive. The SLK-800 is great. Any fan you put on top of it (as long as it isn't whimpy) will work very well.

Z

Back