• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which IBM's were the 'deathstars'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

I remember reading that a certain group of IBM models were horrible. Which exact models were these?

I know the 180GXP's are good, but which were the bad ones?

(My friend is looking for a new quiet drive and swears by IBM/Hitachi. I know Seagate and Maxtor are quiet also.)

Kendan

Senior Punk
The 75 GXP's were the ones that caused the lawsuit. But the 60 GXP's were almost as bad. I think those were the majority problem drives.

penquissciguy

My 60GXP is still running strong (thank goodness), but I certainly wouldn't call it quiet. If your friend wants a really quiet drive, he needs to look at Seagate's Barracuda IV. I know of many such drives in service and have seen no failures as yet.

SenorBeef

I have 2 IBM 75GXP drives that have been running for 2-3 years without any sort of trouble whatsoever.

mateo

I had a 60 GXP that died on me about a year and a half (I think???) after I first purchased it w/ a Gateway rig :rolleyes:

120 GXPs are clean, though.

Daemonfly

I have 2 of the 13g & one of the 20g "Deathstars". After so long, theystart clicking & develop bad sectors. I've found a full low-level format fixes them, and extra cooling will help keep them running a bit longer.

I can no longer trust them to any important data though :mad:

SpyderMatrix

i have the 60 gig ones and they are running fine dual booting with them one is even my main drive guess im a lucky one