• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is best

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rapala

Registered
hi im jst buildin new gaiming pc wondering wat hard drives to get to run on raid 0 dont want to spen loads, i was lookin at the bayb raptors (western digital) or is sata 2 better, wat do u guys think.
CHEERS Tommy

First of all Welcome to the forums

Second try to talk in full sentences with full words, its a pain to read, and people get turned off.

3rd, I would go for the Raptors, they are the fastest, unless you need the storage then looking for drives with a 16mb cache, I believe reading that they come close to raptor speeds when run in raid

dicecca112 said:
First of all Welcome to the forums

Second try to talk in full sentences with full words, its a pain to read, and people get turned off.

3rd, I would go for the Raptors, they are the fastest, unless you need the storage then looking for drives with a 16mb cache, I believe reading that they come close to raptor speeds when run in raid
Run-on sentences are almost as bad. ;)

SATA2 will not net you any performance benefits of SATA1. If you can afford it, I have heard that two Raptors in RAID 0 is an amazing setup. If you want to go a bit cheaper or want more storage, I recommend a Raptor and a 250 GB Hitachi or Seagate, not in RAID. If you're dead-set on RAID, and you can't spend the money on dual Raptors, I also hear that 2x250GB Hitachis in RAID 0 is a great pair.

Don't bother looking at 16MB cache drives if you're going to do RAID 0 - you won't use most of that cache in RAID.

RAID0 Raptors aren't worth it for the cost, because it'll only improve loading times by a few seconds ahead of a regular SATAII 16mb HDD. If you want to be able to be in maps asap and gain a few seconds on loading Windows, then RAID0 is the best choice, if not, the 16mb cache HDDs are nice as well.

Back